Dumaguete Info Search

BoI Info Best Posts in Thread: Pinoys’ foreign wives get to be Filipinos, too (Discrimination or What?)

1. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    :meh: Anothhet Head Scratcher about Equality of the Sexes, which we know just is not going to happen here,
    personally I have never heard of this one But... we have all been here long enough (and newbies will learn quickly) that the Administration and certainly the BI work in very strange and mysterious ways.

Pinoys’ foreign wives get to be Filipinos, too | Goldstar Daily News

It has been addressed as discriminatory at the Foot of the Article but those few words to me says it all.
    If it was not so funny I would think They only want us (Men) for our Money and now they want our Women.
    Well anyone wanting most of our ExWives has got to be desperate, so maybe the citizenship is a carrot.

JP :smuggrin:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    We have to put this in proper context. Keep in mind that the cited law, CA 473, is a commonwealth act. These laws were created by the Commonwealth of the Philippines administration from the mid thirties to the early forties.

At that time, there likely weren't many foreign visitors loading up on Filipino wives.

My interpretation is that these laws were meant to be protective of the woman in the relationship. This likely assumed the man was the bread-winner of the household and women needed full rights to survive in case the husband pulled a runner. This also jives with handling of child custody, which seems to lean towards awarding that right to the woman.

Carrying this same assumption with a foreign man marrying a Filipino woman, the man (the breadwinner) doesn't need the same protections.

These days, the women are often the breadwinners, so this law seems outdated.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 1,261
    In the article is said;
    any woman who is now or may hereafter be married to a citizen of the Philippines and who might herself be lawfully naturalized shall be deemed a citizen of the Philippines.

I wonder how the BI will handle that id women from China or anyplace decide they want to be a Fillipina?
    What if the marriage never happens?
    Sometimes it appear that a lot of laws do not get much thought! Of course how much thinking can you expect from an actor, boxer or game show host?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1