Dumaguete Info Search

Utilities & Mobile Best Posts in Thread: Internet speed measured in ph but results are not public

1. Kym

Kym DI Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 1
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Main pro
    Main issue is upload speed. We are with PLTD and download speeds are generally fine except during busy peak hours usually 5pm -7-30pm - but upload speeds are virtually non existent - Thats a problem across the entire country

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Turbota

Turbota DI Member

Retired Military Pilot / Fed Civil Service
    Ratings:
    +107 / 18
    WELCOME to the PI !!

Land of the not quite right ...

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm sure another reason they don't want it to be made public is because they will lose a lot of face. If it is not made public and only an average is shown for all ISPs individual companies can deny it is their service that is the one bringing the average down (saving face). It's quite pathetic.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Had the same problem with Globe Saturday night, Sunday everything was back and running good so I could watch college football.

I have a hypothesis as to what happened. The slowdown occurred the same time as Omyong was slamming Northern Luzon. I think the government hijacked as much internet speed as possible to be able to get real time information. They did not want another Yolanda. The government does not have reliable internet ability on some days, how many times have you gone into the LTO or some other place to see the sign "Off Line". Makes sense to me that they would redirect all possible help and bandwidth.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,855 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I live in Bacong and have PLDT Home fibre got 1899 plan. just done a speed test, download 21Mbps upload 14Mbps.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Kym

Kym DI Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 1
    Blood Type:
    O-

Problems too many to mention. I imagine it must be difficult to lay fibre optic cabe through all the different islands governed by different political factions who would all demand a cut of the pie. Imagine the decision making process and digging up all the roads to lay cable when a simple barangay concrete road takes 8 months and nevr is completed. It would seem that most of the internet is being relayed through smart towers and not cable like in Thailand. Secondly the Philippines has as many servers in total as one city in Germany. Huge demand for bandwidth and no solutions. Foundation University are working on providing another service but running into opposition from the powers that be that do not want the competion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Turbota

Turbota DI Member

Retired Military Pilot / Fed Civil Service
    Ratings:
    +107 / 18
    Nothing here to write home about.

5 Mbps download speed with Globe here in Dumaguete .... I had 50 Mbps with Comcast while in Florida !

BTW ... The test below was using a server here in the Philippines ... I also did a speed test using a server in Korea and got about the same download speed (5 Mbps), but my upload speed was decreased down to 1.22 Mbps using the server in Korea.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015