Dumaguete Info Search

174 Island Stakeholder Meeting-Second Chance for Negros

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by shakey, Aug 14, 2021.

1. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Wrong

"To the contrary, Sri Lankan security policy has trended against China since the debt-equity swap occurred. A comparison with Djibouti, where the PRC has established its only overseas military base to date, illuminates how this came to pass. In both Djibouti and Sri Lanka, Beijing has used infrastructure loans as a means to entice political leaders to allow naval access. However, three factors led to very different outcomes: ....."

https://jamestown.org/program/mind-...debt-as-a-tool-of-chinese-military-expansion/

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Senjenbing

Senjenbing DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines Navy

Milliways - at the end of time and matter
    Ratings:
    +419 / 198
    I stand corrected. The Sri Lankan Navy were displaced by visits of Chinese submarines.

"When the new Sri Lankan government came to office, it sought assurances that the port would never again welcome Chinese submarines — of particular concern because they are difficult to detect and often used for intelligence gathering. But Sri Lankan officials had little real control.

Now, the handover of Hambantota to the Chinese has kept alive concerns about possible military use — particularly as China has continued to militarize island holdings around the South China Sea despite earlier pledges not to.

Sri Lankan officials are quick to point out that the agreement explicitly rules out China’s military use of the site. But others also note that Sri Lanka’s government, still heavily indebted to China, could be pressured to allow it."

In all but name.

3. OP
    OP
    shakey

shakey DI Member Veteran Navy

economic refugee
    Ratings:
    +295 / 8
    Blood Type:
    O-
    All of the China bashing distracts from the Smart City discussion and should be in another thread.

Most of the Filipino/Chinese here in Dumaguete originally came from Fujian China, whose families supported Chiang Kai-Shek fighting the communists until 1949 and were exiled to Formosa from which they settled in the Philippines. Not having family names anglicanized gave them the opportunity to use names that could be written and pronounced.

Du Ek Sam, Uy, Matiao, Lee, Gothong among others are local giants of commerce and construction and are all of Chinese descent and are well respected in the Philippines.

The investor is an individual who is of Chinese descent who as part of the due diligence will be examined. All moneys sent to the Philippines will be scrutinized by the Central Bank of China and if obtained legally to the Central Bank of the Philippines satisfaction sent as Pisos from the Central Bank of China's foreign reserves.

Delays due to legal challenges are possible and even if everything goes as planned the Commission on Audit could find technical issues to parts of the proposal jeopardizing political careers.

The bold and the brave Dreamers face great risk.

shakey

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Look at what they have done to Sihanoukville in the last 5 years.

https://skift.com/2020/03/09/cambodias-sihanoukville-pays-price-for-gambling-itself-away/

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    No or very few Cambodian can afford to live in the city center, new buildings everywhere, only Chinese live there. Ask Cambodians if they like it, they are pushed out of their own city and need long transportation to get to work and service the Chinese in the city, can the same happen in Dumaguete, what will follow that project? BY by Dumaguete, time to find another place to live for me for sure

6. andiflip

andiflip DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    I don't believe a word of that,, I was here the whole time Dodo Macias was governor and on more than one occasion he drove my wife and myself home from the airport, I never heard anything about a base being considered in Bacong..Remember the mayor is a lawyer and we all know how to tell if a lawyer is telling the truth or not..

7. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    Is it China basing if it is based on facts and history? I have heard the suspicion about this project from my own family and they are residents and they have a right to know how other China backed projects have turned out for the locals. If it is good for the locals then they all would support this project and apparently they all do not.

8. Pedro

Pedro DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Programmer, Photographer and Web Developer
    Ratings:
    +73 / 5
    I really don't think the Taliban care about where the money and arms are coming from. And they are probably the one group to give them quite a run for that money.

9. OP
    OP
    shakey

shakey DI Member Veteran Navy

economic refugee
    Ratings:
    +295 / 8
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Emilio C. Macias II, M.D. or Dodo was a kind decent human. He was into banking in Siaton also which passed to his wife after his death. The Macias dynasty in Siaton probably started with his father as
    A Mayor although history doesn't verify that.

The story by Mayor Remollo supposedly took place pre-Vietnam in the 50s but the Mayor's talk to stakeholders broke into Taglish with some English resulting perhaps misinterpretation of what was meant. The story was the U.S. Navy approached Siaton about using the bay for shore leave, repairs and replenishment. As far as I know no mention was made on establishing a base but he mentioned the family name Macias maybe meaning the father being mayor at that time.

shakey

10. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Scientists warn vs ‘smart city’ reclamation in Dumaguete

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1476540/scientists-warn-vs-smart-city-reclamation-in-dumaguete

The article mostly writes about damage to the coral reef (which, apparently, will be relocated???) and the potential cost of that ("it would take three years to determine if the corals that were transferred to another location survived, and 30 years to find out if they have fully recovered. Making sure the corals survived would cost P2.7 billion, while maintaining them until they fully recovered could amount to P27 billion") plus the possible collapse of 'Smart City' in an earthquake. ("Estacion also cited the active Negros Oriental fault line, which will make the reclamation project vulnerable to earthquakes. “When an earthquake will shake the land, it will cause loosening and displacement of sediments, causing pore spaces, thus destabilizing the soil. So, if you have a weight over that, it will sink,” she said. Estacion recalled the liquefaction or the sinking of land areas in Guihulngan City in Negros Oriental when a strong earthquake shook parts of Negros Island in 2012.")

"Another scientist, Lemnuel Aragones, professor of the University of the Philippines Diliman and former director of the school’s Institute of Environmental Science and Meteorology, also asked the city to reconsider the project.

He said the “dump and fill” project would also affect the water’s “productivity” that ensures food for many marine animals including dolphins and whales in the nearby Tañon Strait, the largest marine protected area in the Philippines and home to many species of whales and dolphins.

“There have already been so many environmental disasters due to miscalculations in the Philippines. Do not let this be another one. Please do the right thing to ensure the continuity of our ecological integrity,” Aragones said in a recent letter to Dumaguete Mayor Felipe Remollo."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1