Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Shipping Containers

1. daanlungsod

daanlungsod DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +83 / 11
    Here's an idea I like; using the panel cutouts to make sliding typhoon shutters for the windows and doors. Also adds to security when away.

• Like Like x 5
  2. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    The only available when we built our house were around 2 1/4" think so it was a fill for beam and column construction. The real savings is time to put in the panels as well as utility rough-in.

I am very interested in the thicker panels to get away from the beam and columns; I have some future plans and will go that route.

I don't remember the cost of the panels but sent the wife a message and will update once I hear back.

Shawn

• Like Like x 3
  3. DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I was meaning to post this Link earlier, after reading this I think it will leave a good impression of Rice Hulls as insulation material; Rice hulls in construction - Appropedia

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. DAVE1952

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Although I mentioned building with concrete I never recommended it and it does not have my seal of approval Haha, only that it must be a whole lot stronger that a CHB house, possibly Typhoon and Earthquake proof, like the container house, but like all cementitious material it soaks up the heat during the day to give it off at night.
    There is another alternative I've mentioned before and that is; a Steel Stud Frame House clad with Hardiflex, this can be done quite cheaply in less time, not so Labour intensive, simple to build and can be fully insulated (using cheap Rice Husks) I could well imagine this is possible to do within the budget price of a half Million Pesos, build this on a Monolithic slab it should withstand Earthquakes very well, this will not require AC, taking a couple of Beers out of the Ref will be enough to cool it down, only don't get drunk or you will die of Hypothermia.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    There are shipping container cottage model homes on display in Dumaguete. South Highway on the southbound side about 1 km down from Robinson Place. Hard to miss since they have a huge billboard up above the three cottages they have there. They call themselves "Kyoob Built Homes." (I am guessing "Kyoob" is their clever spelling for "cube.") As best I can tell, Kyoob is a pretty big outfit in Southeast Asia. I am just beginning to explore this as I am interested in a "starter" home to place on a lot while the "real home" gets built while I am there to supervise.

These models in Dumaguete seem expensive (+/- PHP 1 million) but I guess it depends on what is included beside the finished house itself, e.g. foundation, transportation, plumbing/electrical hookups, etc.

Their facility in Mandaue City, Cebu, has a website: Shipping container homes

The pics on the website are far more inviting than the models here in Dumaguete which are all three "Cottage Series."

Any other info on these, or any competitors around, I would love to hear about it.

• Informative Informative x 3
  6. daanlungsod

daanlungsod DI Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +83 / 11
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    The panels I am referring to have thicker foam, larger gauge of wire and I believe a bit more space between the foam and reinforcement. There are so many videos out there that explains the different types of panels and construction techniques much better than I can on a post. Really cool to watch how things come together.

Shawn

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Ozzyguy

Ozzyguy DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +364 / 182
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. DAVE1952

Ratings:
    +1,095 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Anyway
    He lives half the year in Texas, he has a Ranch there, the house he is building is on a beach near Iloilo.

His build is completely controlled by him, I did see one early Video where he actually set out and drilled the Phenolic board forms himself, I have a friend building here with this same method but he gave up early on as his Professional Filipino Builder did not understand the concept and he is now using CHB, I do not quite understand how this can be since the method is so simple?

Anyway my thinking on this matter of building here in the Philippines is; no matter what the method you use to build here, 100% supervision is required by a competent Foreigner that knows what he is doing, this Texan guy knows his stuff.

You make a good point about burying services in Concrete something I also have avoided in my build, all my plumbing comes out through the rear wall a bit unsightly maybe? but always there will be access too it for any future repairs or to tie in to for any possible additions in the future.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Roadwitch80

Roadwitch80 DI Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 62
    Call Lorenzo Shipping and look for Lance. He has dilapidated container vans that he is looking to get rid of.

• Informative Informative x 2