Dumaguete Info Search

Clothing & Accessories Best Posts in Thread: SM Dumaguete City and Gaisano City Dumaguete Plan ?

1. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Robinson's has quite a bit of pull sadly. SM was planning an SM City in the Dumaguete area 3 years ago or so and had been working on the land. Robinson's bought out the city council to turn down the SM City project citing it would hurt a lot of local business's and add more crime. Lot of nonsense really but its how it goes here and I guess SM wasn't willing to pay more money in bribes to get the project passed. The truth is if any decent sized SM City opened that Robinson's Mall would go belly up as it offers so very little, huge space rental costs for a subpar market for most things, and 75%+ of the stores in Robinson's being owned by Robinson's.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    More competition "should" lead to lower prices, a wider selection of products and more potential for some of those hard to find Western products to be found in Dumaguete. I've never seen someone get genuinely "excited" about plans/talks for a new mall coming to town though. I also didn't see one exclamation point or one word written in all caps (which both would indicate excitement to me) in this thread, just questions being asked and people answering those questions or giving their opinion on what they would like to see.

Not everyone moved to Dumaguete for the nature. It had nothing to do with why I moved to here and I'm really not all that impressed with the "nature" I've seen so far. I'm sure this next one doesn't apply to everyone you see at the mall but there are probably quite a few expats here that have health conditions and can't take the heat and humidity (aka nature :wink:) and getting out to an air-conditioned mall or restaurant might be one of the few ways that they can get out of the house and socialize with friends during the day.

Also, unless you are at the mall quite regularly and there all day yourself how would you know that the people there aren't doing the exact same thing you were doing.....which was probably shopping and then going home? :o o: I was at the mall yesterday sitting outside drinking a coffee and then got something to eat while my gf was grocery shopping; that's a once or twice a month thing for me but you certainly wouldn't have known that just by looking at me......and I certainly wouldn't have instantly deemed you as a "mall rat" just because you were there having a coffee, buying some cloths, grocery shopping or, god forbid, talking to someone you know. :jawdrop: You understand there are a lot of foreigners in Dumaguete correct? There are only so many places for us to buy stuff we need/want. Chances of seeing a bunch of foreigners at the only "real" mall in Dumaguete.....right before Christmas.....are pretty dang high. :biggrin:

Well that's not very nice. I kinda like it here, I'd prefer to stay for a bit longer if you don't mind? :biggrin: I'm sure you will understand when someone comes back at you with an equally snide/rude comment and you will probably also understand it would be best to just let it slide and not turn this thread into a pissing contest. :wink: Merry Christmas.....and happy mall shopping to you.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    As the bamboo telegraph has it robinsons blocked sm coming here a few years back by paying off certain officials,the last I heard was ang Tay golf course which border of sibulan was a proposed site for sm but as of yet nowt has happened,let's hope there is more competition here soon to drive the prices down a bit.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. reich31e

reich31e DI Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 12
    Any Information on this Plans for SM and Gaisano in Dumaguete?....just found it on Wikimapia

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

SM Lot Area is just in front of Northville Subdivision, Tubtubon, Sibulan, left side on the Plan.....across Hyundai
    Gaisano Lot Area, beside DECA Homes, Cangmating, Sibulan, right side of the Plan....

• Informative Informative x 3
  5. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Sounds good. SM/Makro has stores in Luzon and they are almost exact duplicates of every SM Hypermart I have ever been in. Maybe we will get some hard to find foreign foods here and some competition for Robinson's supermarket? (Wishful thinking)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1