Dumaguete Info Search

20% discount for Foreigners too....

Discussion in 'Expat Section' started by Dave & Imp, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Here is something to look forward to. I hope it is implemented before the helmet law:

MANILA, Philippines—Soon it will be more fun being a senior citizen in the Philippines, which is heading toward becoming the first country in the world to give discounts to retirees of any nationality.
    Tourism Secretary Ramon Jimenez said Thursday that a policy is in the works that will entitle foreign senior citizens visiting the Philippines to the same 20 percent discount on goods and services enjoyed by elderly Filipinos.
    “By the end of the year, the Philippines could be the first country in the world to grant discounts to all senior citizens arriving in the Philippines,” Jimenez said in a speech at a general membership meeting of the Makati Business Club.
    Jimenez said the discount should apply to all goods and services discounted for Filipino seniors. The discount, he added, will show that the elderly are respected in the Philippines.
    “It is the right thing to do: to show that they are truly welcome here,” Jimenez said. “There is no reason we cannot communicate to the world that the Philippines is fun no matter [how old] you are,”
    Filipino senior citizens enjoy a 20-percent discount on goods and services under Republic Act No. 9994, or the Expanded Senior Citizens Act of 2010, which also relieved them of the 12 percent value added tax.
    For foreign senior citizens, Jimenez said the measure had been discussed with the Department of Finance and the Bureau of Internal Revenue, which may be expected to issue directives on its application within the year.
    Asked whether it would affect government revenues, Jimenez said he hoped additional spending by foreign pensioners would offset the loss from the discounts.(source the Philippine Daily Enquirer)

I have been told by my Filipino friends this come in very handy for food and trave faresl....

2. derivative_guru

derivative_guru DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    20% off airfare also? I didn't realize that it applied to airfare as well.

Looks like I'm gonna need one of you guys to start booking my tickets for me!

3. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    You cannot buy tickets with senior discount online.
    Buying in the Dumaguete Cebu Pacific office " with discount" may be more expensive than a regular discounted ticket online.
    If you ride a Ceres liner you will get your discount without any problem.

4. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
    What about buying a bottle of SMB. :dnr:

5. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
  6. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,856 / 1,026
    Blood Type:
    A+
  7. andiflip

andiflip DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +491 / 173
    :confused:Bet this will only tie into foreigners who are in the Retirement Visa Plan, so they can get some of the money they over paid for the privilege to live here. I kinda like the statement that it would make the Philippines the first country in the world to give discounts to retiree's of any nationality. It has always applied in Canada, and the US i believe because we have laws against the kind of monetary discrimination found here against foreigners.

8. Cutie ladybug

Cutie ladybug DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    McDonalds and Bethel offer 20% discount with no card needed. Just proof of age. Sometimes Shakeys will as well.

9. OnMyWay

OnMyWay DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    maybe it's their way of apologizing for not having sidewalks, potholes in roads, no restrooms that are wheel chair accessible, public transportation that's far from convenient for elderly, no hotels that would conform to ADA standards and generally only acceptable medical facilities in either manila or cebu??

IMO, it would be a miserable place to live/visit/holiday for someone elderly that's not sure footed and with good vision....

10. devildog4

devildog4 DI Member Veteran Marines

Retired
    Ratings:
    +5 / 3
    Cutie Ladybug...
    What is the age for senior discount at Bethel? Kababayon only?