+137 / 0
    image.jpeg image.png

• Like Like x 7
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Family_Guy

Family_Guy DI Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 3
    JUSTICE FOR PHIL: I am pleased to report that the Dumaguete PNP has identified suspects related to the Phil Prins murder. Due process IS in progress. This is considered a high priority investigation and is being processed in an expeditious and professional manner. They must however, adhere to Department protocol and the relevant law of the Philippines. The department has recently conducted a media release to inform those following this tragic event. Please allow the authorities do their job. I am confident that Justice for Phil will be attained. Phil's Lady Friend is requested to contact the PNP representative at her earliest convenience. Let's enter the New Year with renewed hope, Love and Peace in our hearts - as Phil would have wanted it. Dumaguete - remains "The City of Gentle People"

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I think it was best said on FB:

"It is with great sadness that I say "Farewell" to a fallen warrior brother, Phil Prins. He expired at Silliman Medical Center this morning, 29 December, 2015 on his birthday.

He was an Army Scout, gulf war veteran and photo-journalist for Foundation University. Phil was murdered by several men outside a downtown Dumaguete bar Christmas."

PhilPrins.jpg

I didn't know Phil personally but I would like to send my deepest condolences to his friends and families and I hope that Phil gets the justice he deserve.

(Let's all remember what this section of the forum is for. All posts here will need moderator approval before being publicly visible.)

• Agree Agree x 7
  4. Family_Guy

Family_Guy DI Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 3
    Its not a reply by myself, its a copy of a press release quote. I think it draws people attention not to get carried away and let the Police and authorities do their jobs. A cook and a doorman have been arrested and Zanzibar will be closing due to previous complaints and office paperwork not being in order. Phil was a good friend to people i know well and we are all praying for justice.......

• Like Like x 4
  5. Kym

Kym DI Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 1
    Blood Type:
    O-
    Just found about Phil passing away. To say I am shocked and saddened is an understatement.

I worked with Phil at Foundation - he always seemed a tad reserved and came across as a sensitive soul. He was always polite and he was always focused on his work as a journalist, photo journalist and putting the University campus newspaper together. Last I saw Phil he was taking photos at the Dumaguete rubbish tip - for an environmental story on the inappropriate placing of the rubbish tip

Hopefully there will be some justice here. RIP Phil.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    There is a time and place for this kind of stuff....and this isn't it. Best you stay on Facebook if this is how you reply to people.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    I agree that certain locations here are a potential risk because I have seen problems myself. Perhaps we should open another thread for that as it's something which will split this thread from its purpose. Let's keep it to condolences and discuss the general issues of justice and safety in another thread.

I didn't know Phil, but obviously a lot of people here did. I feel like I got to know him a bit by skimming through his FB feed looking for useful info on what we could do to help. He has great photography in his FB page. I noticed that his mother commented on nearly every post he made. Obviously they were very close and I can't imagine how floored she must have been over the news.

If there is a positive ending to this, it seems that the family had the means to rush over here and take care of the situation. We can imagine (and have seen) how this could turn out other ways with foreigners not able to get treatment and families having to suffer from the opposite side of the globe. In some cases expats here are taking over the process of closing out the story.

Canadianized I made a similar comment in another thread about his positive contribution to the Philippines. He was young and giving. This is the type of person the Philippines wants.

I feel like it would be great to do something for the mother. I don't know what. I heard that she arrived with Phil's uncle and friends arrived as well. It must be an isolating experience to be here with your dead child in a foreign country. Perhaps we could do something to show that she has support. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to organize something like that.

• Like Like x 3
  8. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    May he rest in peace. I hope he is remembered for his contributions as a foreigner giving to Dumaguete.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It has already been posted in another thread several times. This thread is not the place for it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Denise Prins Dobalo is listed as a friend on Kay Prins' FB account. The middle name probably means she is a member of the family. She may be Phil's sister. It appears the campaign to raise funds is going pretty good, which means they probably have a good chance to hitting their target.

Looks legit enough for me.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1