Dumaguete Info Search

2018 and 2019 Vehicle Excise Tax Rise

Discussion in 'Dumaguete City' started by Rye83, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    That's good to know. It means all the locals and some foreigners will still be able to buy an Eon for 5K pesos down and 9K pesos a month (for a lot of months). And thus it means there will still be cheap repos available at the banks because people find out they don't want to pay 9K pesos a month for a lot of months.

Win win. Well except for those people who come here expecting to live like a king on their pension. :angelic:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    I understand this tax that way that if you want to purchase in year 2019 a car with base value of 5.1 M php you will have to pay in addition 1,824,000 and 120% of the difference between 5.1 M and 3.1 M equals 2.4 M (120% off 2M).
    Together it results into 4,224,000 php additional tax. The car price increases by a whooping 80%.

Yeh it looks like a luxury tax. (Or another attempt to get more money out of foreigners but it affect rich pinoys also.)
    A 600k php car will cost 24k PHP more.
    OOOOK then we should try to get cheaper cars.

In addition this tax will also give a huge hit to the used car market because the prices for used cars will climp also.

3. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    lol maybe the living standards of a king from biblical times. But you can do that at poverty levels in the US today.

Lol I know of exactly 0 foreigners with a P5.1M ($100k+) and I've only seen a few cars that would top that price on the entire country. Not a single one in Dumaguete. The Philippines is not where rich foreigners go, it's not a tax on the average Philippine expat.

Maybe my math is wrong but a P5.1M car would cost you P3.488M in taxes in 2019.
    P24,000 (for first 600k)
    P240,000 (for 1.1M - 2.1M)
    P824,000 (for 2.1M - 3.1M)
    P2,400,000 (got the remaining 2M balance over 3.1M)

Also a P600k will not cost you P24k than what it does now. You still have to pay taxes today when buying a car. You would currently pay P12k in taxes for a car. So you will pay an additional P12k in 2019 than you would today.

That's a 2% difference in cost for a P600k. Not a huge jump for the average car owner in the Philippines. Remember that tax already exists. It isn't going from 0% to the new rates.

4. Dr. Shiva

Dr. Shiva DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +480 / 165
    Blood Type:
    O-
    The most relevant price tiers (up to 2 M PHP) are not getting a huge increase. It looks really like an increase of a luxury tax. But I believe that the tax increase will also affect used car prices indirectly.

You forgot in your calculation the second tier. (600k to 1.1M)

The fixum values are correct. I did checked the list and it is correct.

• Like Like x 1
  5. silverbullet

silverbullet Ring Ring. Who's calling? Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +76 / 14
    Blood Type:
    A+
    There are so many ridiculously cheap used cars for sale why would anyone want to buy a new car? New cars get trashed on the roads here real quick.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. OP
    OP
    Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Curious how this law would impact private sellers.

Some of my questions about this tax:
    Does this apply only to car dealers or will the excise police (which has a completely different meaning in the US) be knocking on people's doors who just sold a vehicle? Would this be something the LTO will be checking during registration? When is this tax paid? At the car lot? At the LTO? At the BIR?

7. OP
    OP
    Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Some might feel more comfortable buying new given how most car owners in the Philippines maintain their vehicles.

There are many used cars on the market that would get up in the 2nd and 3rd tax brackets as well.

8. artpepper88

artpepper88 DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +98 / 43
    "Fewer" new cars, Doctor, "fewer"...

9. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    From what I read NMISP stands for Net Manufacturer's/Importer's Selling Price.

That means that the base the tax is applied to is less than what you actually see on the price tag (margin of the dealer and VAT are not part of the NMISP). The second thing I take away from this fact is that this tax only applies to new cars being sold (and probably imported used cars sold here for the first time) .

In general I think taxing income less and consumption more is a good thing. Easiest way to make sure that the people who fill up the roads with their huge cars also pay their share, independently of how and where the money used to buy the thing was earned.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Even without the new excise tax being applied to sales of second hand vehicles, I would fully expect the price levels in the second hand market to reflect the new tax eventually.
    On the other hand, if many new car buyers would try to "beat the deadline", there might be over-supply in the used car market for a while.

• Agree Agree x 2