Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Traffic in Dumaguete absolute c-h-a-o-s!

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,530 / 1,016
    Dear Governor, Mayor, LTO Chief, given it is election time, I will offer my suggestions for fixing the traffic congestion in the town and highway. You can go ahead and take credit for the solutions I offer. I imagine a few of my frustrated colleagues can add a few as well.
    1. Establish fixed locations where Ceres buses, Jeepneys, Pedicabs, and idiots are allowed to stop and ENFORCE it.
    2. Establish alternate days where pedicabs are allowed to operate in the city and ENFORCE it.
    3. Replace the lazy useless traffic officers hiding in the shade with cute young chicks, train them and issue smart properly phones with music and ear phones so they can dance while working.
    4. Take all the bikes, trikes, cars without working lights, mirrors, breaks, regulation mufflers and current registration off the road.
    5. Give top priority and funding (without the money disappearing) to complete the Bacong-Sibulan bypass road.
    6. Until the road complete, Keep the sugar cane trucks off the boulevard by routing them through Valencia - I'm sure the foreigners living there would take one for the team.
    7. Keep the container haulers off the boulevard - find a way, that one's on you.
    8. Turn Santa Catalina street into a Ceres bus, pedicab route and off the boulevard.
    9. Run drug tests on all Van and Easyride drivers.
    10. Others may have suggestions to guide you.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,530 / 1,016
    Dumaguete has a very nice brick walking path along the water now extending I am told 2.4 kilometres from the tourist police/press club building on the south and now open almost all the way to the harbor on the north, adjacent to the boulevard. Only a couple of local regulars walk around 8:15am and now I am the only foreigner (a European guy used to walk very fast but I haven't seen him for a month or so) . Walk way is normally very clean, dog poo maybe once every two weeks as the locals let their dogs go on the grass above, of course no pooper scooper. The city has planted large planters along the way and it is surprisingly pleasant, except for the sun, if there are no clouds. Works for me.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. Michael. B

Michael. B DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +194 / 12
    The pinoy walk now that would be something to see.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Within the Philippines, and as Gerry mentioned, Iloilo would be one of the top options for me (though I would have to find a place about 10-20 minutes outside of the city to get away from the extra heat generated from the city). Another would be Naga City (Camarines Sur in the Bicol Region....NOT the one in Cebu). This one seems like Dumaguete minus the expats and almost daily murders. Though I'm sure both of these cities have their problems as well, I just didn't see them because I don't live there and follow the local news. If I decided to move to another city in the PI I would get a short term lease and actually live there before I made a permanent move.

Outside of the Philippines I would consider Cambodia. Maybe Malaysia (because I could own a plot of land there). Perhaps Indonesia (the northern regions) would make it on a list. I've heard good things about a few countries in Central/South America as well. I know every country is going to have its drawback and I would need to do a whole lot of research and travel before ever seriously considering a move to another country. I'm not going waste a ton of money to move from one cesspool to a worse one.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    So dumaguete made it onto gma news today for their fb page "I park like an idiot"
    image.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Cletus

Cletus DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +357 / 107
    Finish the bypass road of the national highway....which has never started, only talked about to my knowledge. Get rid of 20% of the trikes. The remainder to have day off painted on the body and enforce day off regs.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Get rid of the bloody trikes,all of the cheating arseholes! Bring in jeeps at proper stops. Pretty much of them are all crooks so no one would miss them,the trikes are the ones who mess up,the traffic in town with no respect for anyone!

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The problem with this will be maintaining those "e-bikes" and getting parts (batteries....which are very expensive).

Also, could you imagine how many more accidents there would be in Dumaguete if all the vehicles were electric powered (basically no sound)? People already don't pay attention to others on the road, take away the one thing (sound) that might give these types of people warning something is headed their way and you have a recipe or disaster. Of course it might not be a bad thing that more Darwin awards are handed out. If this is ever mandated I think it might not be a bad idea to start investing in some low-cost emergency care centers and also funeral homes (and perhaps buying up a lot of burial plots and renting them out). :wink:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    You ain't kidding. I am a day person who doesn't like to night drive here too much but I had to bring my SO to the pier at 11pm once and pick her up at 3am and the streets were virtually empty of any kind of vehicular traffic except when you got near the boulevard.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    My first thought is to agree with you. My second thought is of all the traffic coming in off all the side streets and that will slow traffic to a crawl as it does on existing one ways. My third thought is to how they like to dig up one lane of the street and squeeze all traffic into a bottleneck, and instead of doing one spot at a time and doing it quickly, and at night, they work on 10 spots and only during prime time.

There are ways to make it work, but the local culture and government do not have the 'sense of purpose' it takes to get a job like that done.

• Agree Agree x 3