Dumaguete Info Search

Suggestion Best Posts in Thread: Who can suggest an above average bank in Dumaguete?

1. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I opened a Charles Schwab brokerage and checking account 2 years ago to solve this problem. I left my deposits alone, still going to my bank account and do electronic transfers to the Schwab checking account as I need cash wherever I am. I only withdraw from reputable bank ATMs to get favorable exchange rates, as insurance the transaction completes successfully, and that my information isn't stolen. At the end of every month Schwab reimburses any ATM fees. So far tested in Canada, Guatemala, Macau, and Hong Kong. Will test in the Phils Sunday afternoon.

• Informative Informative x 5
  2. alex

alex DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

EXPERT BOLA BOLA
    Ratings:
    +1,296 / 1,129
    I am with BPI never had a problem i changed from R.C.B.C. bank because B.P.I.debit and savings card works all over the world .

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    http://www.pdic.gov.ph/
    Yup, P500k. $9,600 USD. :hilarious:

In case anyone doesn't know what that means: if you have more than P500k (P1M for joint accounts) in a Philippine bank you had better start splitting that up into different banks. If a bank goes t*ts up and you have more than the insured amount you can kiss your money goodbye. That insurance isn't per account either, that is per bank per account holder (unless accounts are jointly held, then it should double the insured amount...if it is similar to the US, and I think it was a copy/pasta law).

I wonder if the PRA informs their visa application of this pathetic PDIC deposit insurance and advises foreigners to open several accounts in different banks? Best to dump that visa monetary requirement into condos.

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Yes, they give good exchange rates especially on foreign credit cards as they make their money on the back end from the credit card fees they get.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rickster

Rickster DI New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    The manager at BDO Robinson Mall will help you set up a charge card linked to your savings account which is linked to you checking account. You only need to show 2 months of your cellphone bill with your address on it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I also bank with BPI for many, many years for the same reasons as Alex. They have prepaid/postpaid MasterCard that is good for use online or anywhere I have gone throughout Asia including and in the USA. They also have online banking from desktop or cellphone. I don't use that one myself but know they have it. But they do have long ques at their main branch across from Jose Rizal Park near McDonald's and the Cathedral.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    Been with BPI, main branch for 9 years. No problems. We receive really good customer service. A teller went the extra mile for us just yesterday and she went and did something for us in 3 minutes that the last time we did it a couple of years ago took an hour through normal channels. Some days and times are busier than others but once you figure that out it's usually a breeze.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Thanks for that info but it just goes to show you how different people will have different experiences because I used my RCBC Savings Bank credit card and debit card in Hong Kong and Canada with no problem, although I did tell them in advance that I would be doing that. But that was 6 years ago so they may have changed by now.

• Informative Informative x 3
  9. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    I have been with PNB 8 years now No problems. Banknet with other cards and the Online account has been great.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Just implemented my (seemingly contrarian) ATM method at BPI. Got charged the p200 fee but as I mentioned before Schwab will refund it at the end of the month so I count that as zero. Most interesting to me is according to xe.com the current rate is us$1.00 = p47.86 and BPI gave me p47.97! I'm happy so far...

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1