Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: New LTO requirement

1. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I would suggest trying another LTO office like Bais where the small town atmosphere is more friendly to foreigner$

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. Frodo

Frodo DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +137 / 0
    Hi Andrew: I agree with Denpet's interpretation of the policy.

My gf texted her LTO friend in Tagbilaran. He confirmed the new policy that the applicant must be in possession of a visa that is good for a year (or more).

My gf asked her LTO friend if there was a reference number for the new (November) policy -- so we can see exactly what it says. He responded that he must talk to his OIC about this -- apparently he has not actually seen the policy letter.

On a related note, while we were at Robinson's Mall today we stopped by the LTO office. The girl there also confirmed the new visa policy. When I asked for a policy letter reference number she said her OIC has the policy and her OIC is in Cebu today.

As a side note, my SRRV says "indefinite" for the expiration date.

I'll write again if/when I hear back from our LTO friend.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. KINGCOLE

KINGCOLE DI Senior Member Highly Rated Poster

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +984 / 443
    Blood Type:
    A+
    No matter how you drive, western or filipino style , you cannot know whom is driving next to you on the road. There is no legitimate driving test, traffic management or enforcement of law, so it is a lottery every time you drive here. You have to drive defensively and trust in God.

2164.gif

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I agree. I have been driving here for so long I usually know what to expect from the locals and am rarely if ever surprised anymore. But, the Foreign drivers coming from all corners of the world who drive the way they were taught in their respective home countries are sometimes very frustrating and at times maddening as I never know what to expect from them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    In the UK you most likely are a better/safer driver, but this ain't the UK and none of your rules apply here (plus you drive on the wrong side of the road :wink:). Western drivers and their "expectations" on other's driving habits and rules of the road can, many times, be very dangerous.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. johncarson

johncarson DI Member Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +252 / 19
    I have to agree with Charly on this one. I can think of nothing more senseless than trying to “drive like they do.” That would mean ignoring common sense and disregarding rights of other drivers and pedestrians. I try to drive carefully, mindfully, defensively, and to stay with the speed appropriate for the conditions, not slow on the highway, but definitely not passing anywhere and anytime I want to without regard to oncoming traffic.

• Agree Agree x 2