Dumaguete Info Search

Tourist Visa 21 days Visa for Foreign National

Discussion in 'Passports and Visas' started by noemejane, Jul 1, 2012.

1. swampstar

swampstar DI Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The commissioner is apparently serious about stopping employees from taking money for immigration assistance. He apparently has banned employees from using the local coffee shops, canteens, etc. in Manila around the immigration offices during office hours and the website for immigration is now official.

2. mjdistj

mjdistj DI New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I arrived in Manila July 1, 2012 and got a 21 visa stamped in my passport....

3. Broadside

Broadside DI Forum Patron

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    There a various posts on here stating that they recently got the 21 day visa, and that gives the impression that there is some question over whether the 30 day visa actually exists. So let me clarify this.

The 30 day visitor visa is in existence and is the only one that should be issued. The 21 day visa is now defunct, and has been for a few months. If some immigration officers at airports are still issuing 21 day visas, it does not change the facts. They are either uninformed, lazy, or most probably it is deliberate so that it can be fixed quietly for a fee later. The post by Swampstar at #21 on this thread is very relevant. We all know that corruption is rife, not just by the mega-players, but more often by the small-time people in government and public employment, and, being so poorly paid, few would pass up the opportunity to make a few hundred extra pesos on the quiet. Deliberate mistakes on documents is a common practice; it is an on-going business and generates private enterprise. But it also causes considerable inconvenience for foreigners and Filipinos alike. The wrong address on your driving licence, the wrong date of birth on your ACR Card, and the wrong visa dates in your passport. Who amongst us has not come across circumstances where someone has a brother/uncle/friend or more likely a cousin who works in LTO/ Customs/ City Hall who will be able to "help" you ? Barangay officials are particularly prone to making "errors", especially on birth certificates with the wrong date of birth, wrong name or wrong sex. This has to be paid for to be put right later and costs Filipinos time and money that they usually do not have to spare, particularly when they apply for a passport or have the opportunity for work as an OFW. So it's a common practice, and prudence and careful scrutiny should be the order of the day.

Any one who reads this forum should now be better informed, and if you are planning a visa run in the near future, at least you now know that the correct visa to be given on re-entry into the country should be valid for 30 days. Its' validity is endorsed by the Bureau of Immigration and authorised by Malacanang.

Now connect this to the question of to have or not have a ticket to an onward destination. Personally, I have never bought nor have I been asked to show an onward ticket, but I fully appreciate that some others have. My stock answer would be "I have no intention of leaving the Philippines within the next year and I intend to extend my visa every 2 months. If you examine my passport you will see that that is what I have done previously to the satisfaction of all government departments". I would also show an ACR Card or Philippines driving licence showing an address, offering some evidence that you have somewhere to live here and are not a drifter. Up to now I have not been required to do so.

Having said that, I would suggest the following is adopted as best practice.

!. Check the dates given on your visa stamp before you leave the immigration desk at the airport.

2. If you are given a 21 day stamp and you do not have an onward ticket, say nothing and walk away. If you challenge the dates they will probably ask for your onward ticket and can refuse entry without one.

3. If you are given a 21 day stamp and you do have an onward ticket, point out the error and ask them to change the dates.

4. If you are given the correct 30 day stamp then there is no problem either way. Just extend to 59 days before the 30 day point.

Happy travelling,

Roger

4. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
    Broadside, i wish you good luck with your idea.
    Immigration officers act on what they have available as instruction from the head office.
    As of now, immigration officers, embassy's and the website of immigration Philippines mention 21 days on arrival.
    I don't think the immigration officer will be impressed by an article in a newspaper or a message on a forum.
    Even when 1 (one) embassy of Sweden said that you receive 30 days on arrival.
    I think you will need stronger arguments.

5. firefly

firefly DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 1
  6. Broadside

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    I have tried to make a post which is both informative and factual. The choice of believing or not believing what I have written is entirely a matter for each individual reader, as is my suggested modus operandi on arrival. If various embassies are slow to update their websites, that is a matter for them. The Swedish Embassy are obviously more efficient than many and updated theirs, and they could only have got their information from the Philippines government.

My passport was stamped with the 30 day visa at Manila airport without me asking for it, so the instruction has been passed from head office and immigration officers are very much aware of it.

Here endeth the lesson.

7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Talking of Entry on Passport, I have to do an extension. now i am waiting for some papers to come from the UK, early retirement, medical people dragging their heels a little. I can't get to Cebu to sort out my 13a for some time.possibly beyond my first extension date. can I apply for 2 months extension even though it will be my first extension.?? having said that how many months can I apply for in one go??

JP.

8. Broadside

Ratings:
    +16 / 1
    Jack, not sure on what basis you came in, but as you said that you got a 21 day stamp in your passport, I am assuming that you came in on a 9A. If so, just go to Immigration here in Dumaguete, before your 21 days runs out, and get the normal extension to 59 days.

9. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Today, restored a little faith in the System, I Arrived at the immigration about 7.50am, just one person in front filling out the extension form. I had already been to get a form last week. I had also photo copied the pages needed in the passport, the Girl took my Payment and said to return in an hour as the control officer was not in yet. so off I went to the NBI to collect my Clearance, I had been Hit last week. a little loss of faith, as the officer there told me that they had not found my file. They have gone Biometric and I guess I was erased due to my non renewing since Jan 2011, Come back this after noon. OK I say! back to Immigration at 9.15 and all is well., better than OK in fact. restored faith again as I was told that they had given me 41 days on the Extension, The 38th day would have been Friday 24th (Aug) So Peter Bueno gave me the Extra 3 days so I could do the next Extension on Monday (27th Aug) and ensure there was no Over stay problem. I guess sometimes not all the extensions on a Friday get done so may be left over until Monday, whatever I went away happy. 4pm came and back I went to NBI and was told that they had not sent the hard set of fingerprints to Manila so i had to await the Scan to be matched up with my original set from 2008 we will ring you later, Yes of course, no phone call. lost a little faith again. had a text at 6.45pm, can I call in tomorrow (Thursday) lets hope all will be well and restore my faith in the NBI Still it is more fun in the Philippines. Sorry if I was alittle off topic but the day included both items.

JP.