Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Salutations

1. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    I will give you a leg up. Foreigners may not own land in the Philippines. It is the Law. The law also states that any attempt to get around or evade the law is illegal. Anything which goes against the intent of the law is illegal. That pretty much closes the loopholes.
    Many people have bright ideas, but how are you going to beat the law when anything you do to own land is illegal? You can own a condo in a building that is at least 60% Filipino owned because you don't actually own any land, the corporation owns the land. You could incorporate and buy a place I suppose but since you can own a maximum of 40%, you just granted others 60% (thank you!) and what do you do if they want THEIR money? It's theirs, you gave it to them. You could refuse to sell and they can bring a partition suit because your refusal to sell denies them their natural rights to the property and a judge will order the sale.

The best one I have heard is the land will be in the wife's name and the Foreigner will lease from the wife. I think that if that lease was challenged by the wife in court, it wouldn't stand.

In any contract language can be declared surplusage, which means it has no meaning, it is just filler. There is no need to lease marital property from one's wife and I believe the entire contract would be declared void on that basis. Part two is a contract must serve some purpose or it is void on the face of it. A contract is an agreement in the exchange of value. What do you gain by leasing from your spouse? This is not to say that a lawyer will not draw up a contract to say absolutely anything you want it to say.

If I really wanted to try to own some dirt, I would try naturalization. There is a lengthy residency requirement and you need to learn a language I believe other than English. Still if you had children who were foreigners themselves they could inherit if you died without a will but it is against the law to will land to a foreigner, they can only inherit if you die intestate. The 50% compulsory heirs (unless you had a Filipino national child) would put them over the 40% ownership limit but the court would give them a reasonable time to sell. Has anyone mentioned that the Philippines doesn't want a foreigner to own land?

You might also want to look into the perils of title, inheritance as it bears on title and taxes. Land title is a mess in the Philippines because there is compulsory heirs for 50% of any estate. The rest can be willed.

Grandpa had clear title (1950) and 6 kids and died intestate. The second 50% is divided by the secondary heirs , wife, illegitimate children and the legitimate children get to double dip n the non-compulsory pool. Mom inherited 1/8 and remarried. To keep it simple, mom stopped having kids. When Mom passed her husband inherited 1/8 of mom's share and Mom's natural children inherited divided what was left. The six kids went on to marry and have 6 kids each and when they passed their 36 legitimate children inherited. There may be a few spouses, aunts, and so forth but they are superfluous to the point which I will get to shortly. The 36 kids averaged about 5 kids each. We are up to about 180 heirs for one piece of land that doesn't have updated title. Who do you buy it from? What if some don't want to sell? I think those who do want to sell will conveniently forget to mention the ones that don't. Don't worry though, you will be hearing from them in the future. They are actually your Co-tenants in the land with rights to use all and any part of it, albeit not exclusive right. Howdy neighbor! THERE IS NO TITLE INSURANCE IN THE PHILIPPINES.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    100% of property deals where the foreigner thinks they will actually own the land they are paying for will go bad. :wink: There are plenty of websites/people who think they know a loophole (and there will be plenty of Filipino lawyers who will be more than happy to make you believe they can get the land in your name for the right price as well). Most of these websites/people/lawyers have not tested their 'legal theories" in front of a judge in a Filipino court and all the appeals that will follow......which will take hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, of pesos and most likely a decade or two. If anyone claims they have done so ask them how much their lawyer fees have been so far and ask them which court sided with them and which ones didn't (local/lower courts decisions are regularly overturned in the appeals court....and then the next appeals court will overturn the previous court's decision). It can be cheap to bribe a barangay captain or local court for a favorable decision.....not so cheap to pay for favorable verdict once you start to get to the higher courts or even the Supreme Court.

Anyone who says they know a way for you to own land and can help you get it done is either trying to set you up for a con or they simply don't know wtf they are talking.

Kinda sounds like the foreigner got shafted to me. Appeals Court said she had to pay him back but the SC reversed that decision.....then they upheld the Regional Court's decision that he get part of property? Maybe I'm reading that wrong?

The chain of events in that case is such a unique clusterf*ck of ignorance and pure greed that I wouldn't try use in any way to justify a foreigner owning land. He bought the land and illegally put the title under his name.....then his gf/wife illegally (and haphazardly) erased his name from the title thinking she would get away with it because he was a foreigner....later the foreigner tried to legally sell the land he illegally owned to a church? I didn't even get to the decision before I got lost on wtf was going on. :loco:

Curious, did you note how many years went by from first filing a case and the SC's rulings in these two cases? :wink: How much you think that cost in lawyer fees? The lawyers ---------->:dance:

Show me a straight forward "foreigner bought land - put title in his/her name" case where the SC made a favorable ruling for the foreigner and I might start to believe there is a way for us to own land here.

The only thing foreigners really need to know is this:

Philippine Constitution:
    The Constitution of the Republic of the Philippines | Official Gazette of the Republic of the Philippines
    SECTION 7. Save in cases of hereditary succession, no private lands shall be transferred or conveyed except to individuals, corporations, or associations qualified to acquire or hold lands of the public domain.

Who can acquire or hold lands of the public domain?
    Filipinos and Filipinos controlled corporations

Seems quite simple to me. :wink:

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Great post! Every foreigner that comes into this country should be forced to read that.

The only thing you are doing when buying land is making a donation to a local or volunteering for a massive headache. If you aren't ok with that then don't do it, it will never be yours.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. marc.oz

marc.oz DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Thanks everyone for your welcome messages, I live in sunny Queensland at the moment.
    I have not been to Duma, however I have been to the Phils many times, including Manila, most of southern Luzon, Cebu and Marinduque.
    Dumaguete will be a totally new experience for me, the fact that there's a growing expat community piqued my interest.
    Cheers
    Marc

• Like Like x 3
  5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Separation or Death Gives cause for disbanding the Company, I say Separation ( and this is Legal Separation) as there is no Divorce. Husband and wife Shares cannot be redistributed. Legally

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. charlyB

charlyB DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,101 / 333
    DON'T DO IT !
    There has been lots of legal advice from other forum members on the pro's & con's of property ownership but something not mentioned yet are neighbours, unfortunately neighbours are like a$$holes and we all have to have them, unless you are very lucky you will have neighbours that, block the access road with their cars, motorbikes funeral wake card tables or anything else, have loud karaoke and none of them can hold a note, let their dogs run wild and crap all over, have shouting competitions when they are only 2 feet apart and never seem to work so they are always staring at you as you go by.
    So my advice / opinion is to rent as it is so much easier to move on and start again but if you really want to buy then go for the largest piece of land you can afford and put the house right in the middle so you are as far away from them as possible.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    It most certainly should be concrete but until this Inheritance nonsense is sorted, nothing is safe. Fortunately the Title Law has tightened up quite a lot in that:
    On "A's" death ( God Forbid or anything else) I will become the sole Owner until my death, I can't sell the Land but may live their For as long as I wish, Our Daughter will Inherit on My death but that is where the problem may Arise, This very Obscure Inheritance law may yeald something we non of us knew but it is Something we are dealing with Now.
    When (TM) is 18 next Year the whole thing will have been sorted out (One Hopes) But...................:pompus:

• Like Like x 2
  8. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Yes, but I might get married someday anyway! Just kidding. Welcome to the new guy. Both new Guys.

• Like Like x 2
  9. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Renting is better then buying IMHO, having tried the other way first. Live and learn.

• Agree Agree x 2