Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: why am i not suprised

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Somehow this is Obama's fault? :rolleyes:

I think the US should let the Philippines settle this one on their own. Where's that Filipino "Pride" at when you need it? :sneaky: The US has enough of their own problems and we should be focusing more on our own citizens. I think the only way the US should come help is if the Philippines, at the very least, pays for the US Navy's fuel, offers to wave every US citizen visa fees and gives us a right to own land and 100% of a business in the Philippines. I'm tired of my country being expected to come to the rescue with nothing being given in return.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    They are earning there way to US citizenship. I think most are doing that to get out of the Philippines. And I don't think they would up and quit if the US turned their back on the Philippines. I highly doubt that since they themselves have turned their back on their own country. If they joined the US military to serve the Philippines then they joined the wrong military.

I have a whole lot of respect for Filipinos that serve in the military to earn their citizenship to the US. But they are the ones that are earning there way....we owe their country nothing because of it.

Edit: I changed the sentence structure to make this post not come off as sounding like an attack. Not how I meant for that to come out.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  3. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    My main issue isn't about the minerals and resources and such which the Philippines couldn't develop and would just sell off in corruption to make some politicians even more rich while nothing for the country. My issue is China establishing a much closer military presence to neighboring non threatening countries (intimidation) and also working on blocking off trade route's through the area to control trade of other countries in the region and also blocking of neighboring countries fishing in those area's while China will devastate the fishing with its massive fleets in the area rather quickly harming many simple people all around.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    "And it will be the very best, most modern, most beautiful hotel ever built. I love the Chinese. We will get a great deal, and the Chinese will build it with their own money." ---The Donald

Maybe.

And if the Filipino politicians had not pandered to misplaced patriotism in the 1990s, Clark Air Base and Subic Bay Naval Base would still be operated at US expense with a strong US military presence (and boatloads of US dollars getting inject into the Philippine economy), and the Chinese would be much less likely to be playing their games in the South China Sea. (The US Air Force didn't base "trainer jets" at Clark!)

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2016
  5. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Dave, I vote to let them all go back if they wish, sorry but they will not be allowed to take weapons, fighter jets aircraft carriers, submarines or missile frigates with them. The Philippines doesn't need more bodies, they need 500 billion dollars worth of military hardware and those trained and experienced in it's use. When I was in the army, we had one Filipino guy in our platoon, company, possibly battalion. We probably had at least as many Ukrainians, should we have committed the entire United States to war for them too?

• Like Like x 2
  6. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    It's uninhabited territory. If the Philippines wanted it, they should have planted a presence there. If they are not ready to shed Filipino blood for it, nobody else should either. I don't think anyone could be convinced that the US or anyone opposing China would be doing more than saving the islands and the mineral wealth under it for the wealthy and political Filipino elite to plunder at a later date. It certainly wouldn't be for the Filipino man on the street as they have no stake in this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    And add a dual citizenship option. What's good for the goose should be good for the gander.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Well, at least we know the surface-to-air missiles certainly aren't for the Philippine Air Force......and their trainer jets.

One problem the Chinese would face if they actually started anything would be that islands tend to have fixed addresses. Whatever troops/weapons/structures they put there wouldn't be around for very long. I think the ties between the US and the Philippines are going to stay strong for the foreseeable future.

• Agree Agree x 2