Dumaguete Info Search

Valencia Best Posts in Thread: Earthquake or Explosion in Valencia?

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I am aware and that is why the boom and ground shaking made me uncomfortable. Nothing you can do about it though. Just sit there and hope you aren't in the line of fire. When in Afghanistan I was always relieved shortly after hearing the booms and ground shaking.....it means your head is attached to your body and the explosion wasn't all that close. If everything all of a sudden goes silent or you hear a loud ringing and feel nothing then you might have a bit of a problem. :wink:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Miguel

Miguel DI Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +109 / 39
    You do know that You live on slopes of a dormant volcano. Can erupt any time. No pre-warnings. Say after me: Yes, I know :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  3. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Works for me.

My Gf and her brother were freaking out and yelling at me asking what that was as if I it were my fault (maybe they thought I had let out the most epic fart ever :biggrin:). The loud boom was the only thing that had me concerned. When I hear that my mind is convinced another round of rockets/motors might be coming in and would have my number written on it....or that the mountain just blew it's top and debris will start raining down any moment. The very short duration of the shaking did remind me of a shockwave from an explosion.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. hawk263

hawk263 DI Forum Adept Blood Donor Veteran Army

Retired
    Ratings:
    +488 / 81
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Yes, we felt it. Felt like about a 4.5 quake.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Last night around midnight there was a pretty loud "boom" (sounded like a rocket or motor hitting a couple kilometers away) followed shortly by the ground shaking for about 1 second (windows rattled). I hadn't been drinking and everyone else on the property heard and felt it as well...so not just me :wink:.

I checked Seismological Observation and Ea but nothing in the area around that time. Anyone else up in Valencia here/feel this? Given the very short duration of the ground shaking I'd think it was an explosion.

• Informative Informative x 2