Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Negros eyeing tag as new renewable energy capital

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,796
    Blood Type:
    O+
    More energy won't hurt anything. I think the big problem is not the companies generating power but more with the family/company that distributes the power.

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Not exactly geocooling but other natural ways to cool a house simply are available. These simple economic ways to reduce the temperatures within your home include. 1) Paint you roof silver or white. Painting white or silver reflects the heat, and reduces heat build up in the open attic area which is then transferred to the house. Do not paint the roof a dark color as it will only absorb more heat from the sun. The typical dark red roof is probably the worst colors to choose in regards to building up heat in the roof. (no cost, unless repainting). 2) Plant Mahogany trees about 1 ½ meter apart on east, south and west sides of the house. In less than 3 years they will shade the walls and start shading the roof of you house, cutting down on heat transfer to your house walls and roof. Cost is about 12 P a tree as seedling in Valencia area. (One of the reason Valenica is cooler than other surrounding areas is the amount of shade provide by the good tree coverage in the area.) Thousands are available on the road to Casaroro Falls. Neither items 1 or 2 require additional cost other than water and fertilizer for the trees if you want them to grow fast. You can achieve about 15 to 20 feet grow in height in three years or less when well cared for. (Contact me if you want some help, I can get the Mahogany trees growing like weeds… not weed.)

Getting the heat build up out of the vacant attic space is crucial in cooling a house. A little more complicated approach can include exhaust fans or vents at the highest point in your roof. (Remember hot air rises! ) The vents around the lower eves of the roof attic only let out the coolest air temperatures escape as the hot air concentrates in the top of the attic space. Opening the highest points to venting releases the hot air and lets cooler air coming in through the lower eve vents. A air exhaust fan could be put on a thermostat (or manula switch in the house) to go on when attic temperature are high, but there is an electrical cost involved. Attic insulation is also a very good means of keep the hot attic air temperatures to enter you house, but there is an installation cost, but no continue cost. I found it cost about 1000 P for a medium size bedroom in the past. Reduction in electrical air conditioning cost can pay for the insulation cost quickly. I hope this is a help to you. Some of these strategies can even pay off for you in reduced electrical cost if you live in a rental home if you have a 3 to 5 year lease agreement to amortize the costs.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Kym

Kym DI Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 1
    Blood Type:
    O-
    public meeting tonight thursday at Valencia gym - a private power co eyeing off 6000 hectares of forest mt talinas region for next geo thermal project

• Informative Informative x 4
  4. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I have always thought that a 'heat sink' acted like a sponge whereas insulation blocks the flow of heat. Thus the reason your house is still hot in the cool of the night probably has more to do with the heat coming from the concrete block walls (the heat sink) than the insulated ceiling. But easy enough to figure out, just touch the insulated ceiling in the evening and then touch the concrete wall and see which one is warmer.

Disclaimer, I am not claiming to be an expert, I just know that my concrete walls feel warmer than my ceiling in the evening.

• Informative Informative x 3
  5. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Attic insulation works like a sponge, keeping the house cooler during the day by absorbing the heat rather than letting it pass through the ceiling. This works until the insulation becomes saturated at which time it becomes practically useless (a sponge absorbs water until full). The continue cost is dealing with all that captured heat being released into the home at night. (ever wonder why outside there is a cool breeze but it is still hot inside?)

No idea about sourcing it here but I would recommend radiant barrier (think aluminum foil) which reflects the sun's radiant energy back out of the house (same idea as the white roof but much more efficient) and can reduce temperatures 20 - 30 degrees fahrenheit (10-15 celsius). Radiant barrier does not become saturated and the little bit of heat absorbed is dissipated quickly as the sun goes down.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I just heard this rumor today. Its about Dr Mike, our member and Chiroprator. (Perhaps he can confirm or deny). Seems he got the solar power hooked into his Noreco and what happens is they put in 2 meters the one is for the power you use and you pay your normal price for that so you will still get a normal bill. The second meter is only read once or twice a year and thats your solar feeding into the system.

IF this is true and IF I am understanding it right they you have to sell the solar power to Noreco at wholesale prices and then buy your own power back at retail prices and you don't get paid for the power your solar system generates for many months so your electric bill is going to stay the same.

IF this is true and IF I am understanding it right, then I would be tempted to use a Generator/Main switch and just supply power for myself with the solar system and then switch to Noreco at night. But this who post is what happens when I listen to rumors. Hope Dr Mike or someone else can confirm with factual info.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Canadianized

Canadianized DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +224 / 27
    Years ago I worked in Creighton Mine, Sudbury, Ontario, Canada. I can tell you the further you go down the hotter it gets. Creighton is one of deepest mines in the world. Not a fun job!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,796
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Valencia would be "lucky" if the residents still got a discount on the electricity produced from geothermal or if the power plants hired a lot of locals.....which they don't. As it stands right now the only people that are "lucky" are the ones producing the energy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,796
    Blood Type:
    O+
    FYI: found this interesting.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    It might have been better to say that the storage and receiving facility was there rather than that Dumaguete was the "source" of the oil. It still has to be shipped in, the farther out you get, the more expensive. 40km south of Duma you might expect prices 3 peso more per liter. It is the cost of delivery and Gouging. On my way to the US I remember seeing prices for Petrol on Luzon that were very close to the price of diesel in Duma, at unbranded stations. Competition and a larger market forces the price down. I'm not saying there is price fixing in Duma gas stations.....Oh wait! Yes I am. Nevermind.:sneaky:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1