Dumaguete Info Search

Healthcare Best Posts in Thread: VA Certified Doctors in Dumaguete

1. DaveD

DaveD DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Because they are the only VA outside of the United States. They were originally here as per their special/unique charter to assist Filipino scouts who fought with the American forces against the Japanese in WWII and their families (spouse, children etc.). They assist Americans here because they can, but they are limited as they are only a clinic/pharmacy and not a full VA Hospital. IMPO in the near future the VA will eventually be phased out and we will be handed over to the FMP (Foreign Medical Program) but because there are so many Americans here who are being serviced by VARO/OPC Manila they are doing it in phases. There are approx 6000 disabled veterans enrolled in VA just in the Angeles/Subic areas and somewhere in the neighborhood of approx 10,000 in the PI according to VARO.

• Informative Informative x 4
  2. c_acton98

c_acton98 DI New Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Think this is confusing this is approved / certified doctors from TRICARE NOT VA APPROVED. These two are different. You would hope they would be linked. But first you hve to get VA approval before you go. And theres the rub.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. DaveD

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Yes, I know it is confusing and I am not the expert but can only express what I know from personal experience. VARO Manila is a special case as it is the only VA outside the USA and it plays by it's own specific rules which were made for the Philippines and are differeent than USA VA. They do allow walk-ins on a case by case basis but going to VA OPC does not guarantee you will be seen by a Doctor or anyone just that they will try to fit you in if time permits. All appointments are made months in advance and if you are not rated at even zero percent service connected they will not even let you inside or entertain you. I suggest you email Vick Randall. I will PM you all the details and you can address any questions to her. She is the Clinic manager and the only American I have ever seen there at VA OPC who wasn't a patient.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. DaveD

Ratings:
    +1,041 / 129
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Yes, that is all accurate except for the FMP (Foreign Medical Program) that has yet to be implemented as of yet. Although it is in the works. We just do not know when this is going to happen.

I am on the email lists for American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars and Disabled American Veterans all from Angeles City, Pampanga. All the service organizations in Angeles and Subic have a very good working relationship with VA Manila and are kept abreast of all upcoming changes and have a monthly online call to address any/all issues brought up by the service organization members. I will post here as soon as I know any updates. (That's where I got the info I posted yesterday)

As of now (to the best of my knowledge) You can still get LOA's (letter of approval) to see local physicians for service connected injuries if you are enrolled in Fee based care at VARO Manila as I am. Problem is not too many Doctors want to work with the VA or Tricare anymore as they are both notorious for late payments to service providers.

• Informative Informative x 2