Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Shut your mouth

1. Cerne

Cerne DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +538 / 199
    I see this as a human rights topic, thus it is a global issue. The rape and murder of women is just plain wrong and not to be joked about no matter how black your gallows humour may be. An aspiring President of any country needs to watch what s/he says as they aspire to lead a nation in a global community. Mr D talks about raising his people, breaking the shackles of corruption that keep the majority in grinding poverty. Lofty, laudable aspirations. Just as important is breaking the injustices of macho culture that condones this sort of violence - after all roughly 52% of his voters belong to this gender and populate this green earth.

A bit more humility, a bit more of a softer edge would go a longer way to enhance his message that he will serve ALL Filipinos. Part of that is demonstrating that you were wrong and made an error of judgement in speaking the way he did 20+ years ago. As it is he just seems to dig himself deeper and deeper to me. I fear for the future if this guy wins - a likely bloodbath, purges, gulags, extra-judicial killings, the lot. I also fear for him, if he fails, the people will turn on him.

Glad I am stuck on a pretty relatively unimportant little island. The older folks here remember the days of Marcos. Their take on it is that those excesses barely touched them. If he does get elected, l hope pretty much the same thing happens.

Over and out,

C

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I would very much be interested to hear Trump's take on Duterte's comments to the ambassdor. I'm betting I would agree with whatever it was he had to say about it.
    The US does not need the Philippines. The advancement of long range bombers and nuclear powered ships have made the Philippines completely irrelevant. The shipping lanes can be protected from the bases we currently have in the Pacific and the bases China has built on the Spratley Islands have fixed addresses and pose absolutely no threat to the US (those can easily be dealt with from 1800 miles or more away from the islands). It is the Philippines that needs the US. Duterte can be as "macho" as he likes but that won't do anything to deter the Chinese from claiming every island in the archipelago that they please. Duterte speaks loudly and carries a tiny twig (the twig being the Philippine Navy and Coast Guard). Maybe he is stupid enough to think that sinking a Chinese battleship is as easy as sending his death squads out to kill impoverished 3rd world drug dealers though.

If Duterte wins the election I really think the US should reconsider their defense treaty (along with all foreign aid) with the Philippines.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Does it sound to you like the American ambassador is trying to influence the Philippine elections? It sounds to me like he is just calling prick a prick., in diplomatic language of course.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Whether it is "two wrongs make a right" or not, making discriminate remarks are off base on our forum and should be considered a violation and suspend the poster and maybe he will join another forum.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Hmmm you may be right so lets keep it Non too heavily Political.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    Is there any reason why the US should not reconsider their defense treaty (along with all foreign aid) with the Philippines sooner?... that would even make Miram Santiago happy... :smile:. It seem like the many Filipinos feels confident that can defend themselves from China. Have you ever gotten a splinter of bamboo under your finger nail, that can bring you to your knees.
    Anyone who reads the news, knows that at least the press admits that 35% of anything given to the Philippines is mis-appropriated to others than the intend projects or people, but I guess many here would not be happy :frown: if there was not free aid available to the undeserving.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Pot calling the kettle black??

A "wench" and a "Jew"?

WOW!

Not much respect here....

I resemble that remark.

nwlivewire

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. nwlivewire

nwlivewire DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Army Navy

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +715 / 91
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I was wondering what being a wench or Jew had to do with the issue.

Probably nothing at all really - which was my point.

V/R,
    nwlivewire

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    Definition of WENCH

Full Definition of wench

1. 1 a : a young woman : girlb : a female servant

2. 2 : a lewd woman : prostitute

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    I don't think the U.S. works off pride. The U.S. works off national interests. Look at the crazies we have backed in the past. Saudi Arabia? These guys hate us. We don't care, just as long as things are going our way.

Anything you say positive or negative is potentially influencing voters. That's especially the case when it comes from a significant position such as a U.S. ambassador.

Even this thread should probably be in the controversial section.

Given what he said about S. Korea and Japan, he might welcome cutting ties.

The U.S. doesn't need the Philippines as a regional base. The U.S. just needs for countries in the region to be on team USA rather than team China. It's part of the balance of power game.

As mentioned above, if Trump gets elected and gets his way, then Duterte may not have to do anything. Trump may just decide to pull out of the region.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1