Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: U.S official refuses to help u.s citizen

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I've had two grandparents suffer from Alzheimer's/dementia, one passed away, one currently in the late stages of the disease. It's a very nasty disease (not just on the person who has it but their family as well) on it's own, living on the street alone in a 3rd world country....wouldn't wish that on anyone. Not exactly sure what would happen to this man if he made it back to the US and had no one there to get him at the airport. If there is no family I don't think any outcome is going to be a very pleasant one.....but if I had to choose where I was going to slowly lose my mind, the Philippines would certainly not be my first choice. At least in the US there is a chance he could be put somewhere that could provide him the basics.

Edit: My point was, if there is something that can help him get back to the US it should be done.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    There is apparently a U.S. Embassy Warden assigned to Negros Oriental. I would expect that warden to get involved and as necessary call on The Dude or whomever to help the poor fellow solve his ATM problem, if in fact the guy has any funds in his account.
    I Call ON THE U.S. WARDEN TO REACH OUT AND GET INVOLVED!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I figured this would be the response from the Embassy. They aren't going to share any information about this gentleman without his consent (nor should they) and they aren't going to take action to assist someone when all the information is coming from a third person. This is why I directed my questions towards the man who wrote the article (and seems to be in direct contact with the American that is in need and taking the lead on the man's situation). If the man is mentally ill/unstable and is unwilling to cooperate with getting back to the US and his family is not assisting in any way there is going to be very little the Consulate can/will do. This will be something that the Philippine Immigration will need to take the lead on, or at the very least offer a lot of assistance on IMO. Being mentally ill and a burden to society is grounds for deportation here if I remember correctly.

Note: I'm not trying to say this man is a "burden to society". He needs help, but the best way for him to get that help might be for the BoI to forcibly remove him from this country (where he will never be able to get the help/assistance he needs). It is a shame that he does not have any family that has been contacted yet (we can't be sure of that though); I have only read about a possible brother (who is 81 years old, may not even be alive and I haven't found any contact information for him) and a cousin in the US. I do have a contact number for the cousin. I will not call that number until I have spoken to the author of the article or the BoI (they might have already tried to contact family or have a different/better US contact for him).

• Like Like x 4
  4. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    Assuming the the role doesn't change by country, which would make sense. Seem like the text book case for them to get involved. Have any American's used him?

Warden Information | Embassy of the United States

The warden system utilizes contacts throughout the expatriate community to keep in touch with Americans. Wardens are volunteers from among the local residents. They may be business representatives, community leaders, hoteliers, presidents of local American or expatriate clubs, school principals, directors of missionary groups, or administrators of non-governmental organizations. Wardens volunteer to serve as links to the consular section.

Who are Wardens and What Do They Do?

The origin of the word "warden" means "to guard" or "to watch." The modern use of the term "warden" dates back to World War II, when air raid wardens alerted their neighbors to danger and ensured that safety rules were followed. Wardens are usually, but not always, U.S. citizens or non-citizen nationals resident in the host country who volunteer to assist in disseminating important information to the wider U.S. citizen community.

Warden Duties

1. Contact each family in your area to introduce yourself and to confirm their street address and telephone number. The embassy sends a letter to all of the families in your area, giving them your name, telephone number and street address.
    2. Appoint an alternate warden and inform us of his/her mailing address, telephone number, and email address. Inform the alternate warden when you are out of town, give him/her an updated list of persons in the area, and brief him/her regarding the warden's responsibilities.
    3. Maintain the list of families (including each person's name) in your area. We will periodically send you a copy of our computer printout of registered Americans living in your area, and ask that you update the list. We would also welcome hearing from you at any time on developments in your area that might affect the safety of Americans, or on any other matter of concern.
    4. Keep an ear out for new American arrivals in your area and encourage them to register with us so that we can add them to the computer printout of persons in your area. While it is always useful to learn of new arrivals from a third party, this does not eliminate the need of each person to register personally with the embassy.
    5. In an emergency we will contact each warden to disseminate information and to keep abreast of developments in the warden's area. The warden should pass along the instructions/information regarding the crisis to the Americans in the area. The means of communication will depend on what is available during the crisis: telephone, telegram, short-wave radio and personal visit. In the event of any urgent developments in the warden's area, the warden should contact the consular office at the embassy.
    6. You may also be called upon in a non-crisis situation to communicate with those on your list regarding other matters, for example, voting, taxes, etc.

• Informative Informative x 4
  5. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 1,261
    Sad.
    The Canadian Embassy would not be anymore helpful.
    All those embassy people care about is the next cocktail party and what's for dinner.
    I hope you American folks here can embarrass your consulate into doing something.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,539 / 1,016
    Plus I don't know the guy but I would hope he is covered by medicare in the US. Sad story. Not good to be alone here guys with no one to look after you in case the grim reaper bites you in the @ss.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Why is it the US taxpayer's problem that this guy didn't come prepared or have backup plans? It's called the US State Department, not the US Babysitting Department. I'm not saying the Embassy shouldn't have done something for the guy but the part where he says "yet, here comes their own citizen, poor and sickly, and they wouldn't extend him any help"......that freakin' rich! Please do tell, what is it the Philippines does for their "poor and sickly"? Pot, meet kettle.

Really now? That's the only problem going on here? So they went through all this trouble (and expense) to take the guy all over Dumaguete to different government offices and appointments at hospitals and then drove him to Cebu when all he needed was to call his bank? I call BS! The entire story is not being told here. I'm sure the US Consulate saw through that story as well. If the guy is not going to be honest about his situation then he does not deserve any help.

:meh: Who would have thunk it, someone wants to get paid. What happened to all that "The bible says: Dear children, let’s not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions. (1 John 3:18)" you were talking about in the very first sentence of the article go? Guess there isn't all that much love for this "poor and sickly" expat when there is no money involved.

So, what exactly was it they were "denied"? And why would their pay be determined by any actions of the US Consulate did or did not take for this expat? I call BS again.

I'm curious if this "brainstorming" session included any Google searches or thoughts about reaching out to an expat group/website (like this one). :meh: I suspect the results would have been much different if either of those things had been done.

Emergency Financial Assistance for U.S. Citizens Abroad
    "Destitute U.S. citizens in need of help overseas should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate or the U.S. Department of State, Office of Overseas Citizens Services, at (888) 407-4747 (or from overseas +1 202-501-4444), for information about other assistance options and eligibility requirements."

I'm curious if anyone called this number before running this guy all the way to Cebu? There is absolutely no mention of this in the article.

How about contacting the US Embassy Warden in Dumaguete? Didn't see his name mentioned once in the article either.
    US_Embassy_Warden.png

If all the guy really needs to do is call his bank to get a new card send me a PM and I'll meet the guy in Dumaguete and let him use my phone to call his bank. Problem solved.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    How about lending the guy a phone to call the bank with? I can call the U.S. for free on my phone.

This is good. How is it that a Philippines citizen come up with the expectations that government can be helpful?

The hell with flying cars and sex robots. All I want for my future is a super easy and cheap way to move money. If I have money in any account that I control and I'm in a city (rather than the middle of a jungle) then I want to be able to access that money. Right now due to anti laundering laws, fraud and ancient bank to bank transfer systems, getting access to money is way too hard.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    It's certainly a pretty poor situation for this poor guy. Even the Brit embassy are more helpful than this. If this guy has family at home why couldn't they contact them or atleast help sort out his banking problem and get him straight.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    He needs to get back to the U.S. and the best place or that to happen is in Cebu or Manila. If I were in a rough spot with no support back home, then dumped on a street corner close to the consulate is exactly where I would want to be. That's a better location than a street corner in Dumaguete.

The other option is that he gets picked up by immigration and put in immigration jail. He won't get treatment for his condition there. I imagine immigration would be motivated to work with the consulate to put his case at the head of the queue for shipping him out. It would be obvious they wouldn't be getting money from him and his care would be difficult.

Getting to the U.S. would be a win since there are lots of options there.

At this point, his mental condition is just a guess on our part.

• Agree Agree x 2