Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Opening a bank account

1. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    I have my Philippines PayPal account linked to the Visa debit card of my Philippines bank account ( pesos only) , works like a charm. I never have to "top up" PayPal since everything I spend is debited directly from the card so PayPal balance is usually zero.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Jimbo

Jimbo DI Member Restricted Account Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +43 / 27
    With a debit card if you select credit at the terminal and not savings or cheque, there are no fees with most banks. Also your purchase is covered for fraud, just like a full credit card. And in some cases for instance is you buy an airline ticket, you are covered for losses by visa for instance. You need to read your individual bank's brochure on it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Correct, unless you either bought a condo ( to pay taxes on each year) or started to work or gained profits from a company here you had shares in or if you rented out said Condo
    This is my belief anyway

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Regarding the issue of obtaining a tax payer ID number the answer is yes. I moved here from Bacolod 2 years ago and opened an account at BPI and was told I needed one. Went to the BIR and had one issued. Picked up the application one morning, got the requirements, then went theirr the next day and had my number in about 45 minutes.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Credit cards are useful if controlled properly, Plastic money (as we call it) is a very important thing in life today BUT and I say But YOU have to Control the Spending

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Jimbo

Jimbo DI Member Restricted Account Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +43 / 27
    A debit card is a visa card.the only difference is it's all your money, not theirs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    They jacked about 2k USD from me. I went through the appeal process for over a year. When they finally unlocked my account they had took all 2k USD that was sitting in my PayPal account. Tried appealing again but never saw that money back. If they had pulled it from my US bank account I would have put a stop payment on their asses and let my bank gave a go at them.

I accept sponsor payments through PayPal but the second the money hits the account I put it towards the server costs. I will never again have any balance sitting in a PayPal account....not only because they may steal it but because they make interest on the money in the account as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. KTM

KTM DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 69
    Me too, easy as......though had to ask my bank at first to honour PayPal debits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. WATSISNAME

WATSISNAME DI Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 100
    Brian....since you allready have an account with them maybe you will not need the tin.....I opened an account with them few months ago and had to get a tin....If you do,, its no big deal, the bank will give you a request form, just take it to BIR join the line, and wait a while sir.....If you are lucky and get there early, you should get it same day...Dont forget to take a cut lunch:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  10. robert k

robert k DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,213 / 264
    The TIN number issue came up when I was buying a car. One lawyer said I needed one and I told him no I don't. Eventually he agreed that as I am a foreigner, no I don't. I was not required to provide a TIN when I opened a bank account either. I suppose it could be a new regulation on bank accounts for foreigners but I think someone got it wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2