Best Posts in Thread: Reliable, affordable internet access in Dumaguete

1. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,855 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I have PLDT home fibre, cable. 20Mbps unlimited. Really good had it about 3 months no problems. Oh and 1899 for the middle plan.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Here’s the underlying definition of the Fair Use Policy.

“We are the two major carriers for internet in the Philippines. We are, in effect, a duopoly, so we don’t really have to follow any rules, including our own. We are consistently unprepared to meet the bandwidth needs of our customers and have no intention of making the financial investment to alleviate that situation. However, we are totally prepared to take everyone’s pesos even it results in our being so oversubscribed we could not possibly physically deliver to everyone who pays us that service which we promised. (Hence, our ads always say “Up To” XXX Mbps). So when we run short, we just underdeliver but never rebate.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 5
  3. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    I've said it before many times and I'll say it again. All of you running speed tests off a server in the Philippines are running worthless tests. The only proper way to test is changing the server to a server outside the Philippines. Select a server in Taiwan, Singapore, Aus, or even in SF or LA USA. Testing in the Philippines isn't much different then me running a speed test on my home network between my two computers and claiming that's my internet speed. The Philippines doesn't host 0.1% of the internet therefore to get an accurate test one needs to exit the Philippines.

This is the major scam run by the major ISP's as they train their techs to only test within the Philippines and usually to their own server in Manila or Cebu which can show blazing fast speeds but this is NOT what you truly get. The real problem is the backbone that the Philippine ISP's purchase bandwidth on that take your signal international to whatever server and site. They don't buy nearly enough backbone bandwidth and oversell their service and this becomes extremely evident when you do a proper test during prime-time vs low time. They don't want you knowing and they don't want to take responsibility so they expect to keep the average uneducated and train their techs to deceive you (the techs generally don't know any better though and trust their employer).

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Do you have access to Fil-Products there mate? If so I have to say I am very happy with them along with the Pay TV package. (2100php per month Internet and 400php per month TV) I can stream most videos or music online without much of a problem. Over night if I line up Torrents I can usually snag around 30+ Movies on a good run by the time I wake up. Some days can be a PITA while others go like greased lightning so I suppose it depends. Also when there are Blackouts in Zamboanguita my Internet connection will disappear along with the TV despite the power being on here, it is what it is. I am on 6Mbps Cable but there is also Fiber-Optic at a higher cost which I hear is pretty good.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Dutchjob

Dutchjob DI Member

Fulltime Gago, part time manager
    Ratings:
    +227 / 39
    [​IMG]

My connection goes via IpVanish server in Manila witch improves the reliability to acceptable grade. Allways more confusing in the PH, normally a VPN will cost you some speed but here it will get you around the traffic we all share leaving the oversold consumer lines... Is my experience.

6. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    When I moved to Valencia from Candau-Ay, Globe DSL was no longer available but I do have Fil Products fiber. There were a few issues at first but we sort of worked it out and lately my ping is about 26 Marc and 10.0 meg per sec. that is good for the area IF it stays consistent. I think it will. So far it has been good for the last 3 weeks. I think any problems at start-up are related to the new fiber connections. Some neighbors here have refused to upgrade to fiber. It seems the original cable wiring is underground and they usually cannot EASILY, cheaply replace the underground cable to the home with fiber to the home so they run overhead fiber and people refuse that. I didn’t know I had the option to refuse. Anyway, fiber is new to fil products and I would have preferred to skip the growing pains. But once it works, it seems consistent. The unusual thing is, when you think of fiber you think high bandwidth, so, super high speed. Well, that could be possible with fiber but not in the Phils where the bandwidth of the entire nation is very limited. This is where D30 would love some foreign competition to come in (from China) and shake things up. In other countries like South Korea, China, Japan and Singapore, 10 Mps is a snail’s pace dating way back to twisted pair DSL speeds, which are OK for me, but not enough upon which to move a large high tech firm or data center here. The people are being cheated out of business opportunities and employment that depend on state of the art speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    Yes, the mast is necessary. They need to have line of sight visibility from the top of the mast to the antenna on top of their office building in downtown. They did not charge me for installing the mast, but I did sign a one year contract. It is really not a permanent structure, they put mine up in a couple of hours, so even if you are renting it may be possible to get your landlord to approve the installation.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    My plan is called "Plan4499" ... and that is also the price. I know that's a lot, but at my location my only other alternative is Globe Wifi, which I did try to use and found it quite unacceptable. The nice thing about airLink is that they can provide service to just about anywhere, and they do have other lower price plans.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    Just for comparison, here are the results for my airLink service, and I am remotely located in the hills above Sibulan:

upload_2018-9-16_9-15-39.png

• Like Like x 3
  10. AndyG

AndyG DI Member Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor

Web developer
    Ratings:
    +124 / 1
    Blood Type:
    A-
    You're asking for three things (reliable, fast and cheap) when you can realistically only have two of them.
    If you include "cheap" as a mandatory option both "reliable" and "fast" will certainly take a significant hit. If the internet is important to you aim for "reliable" and "fast" and be prepared to pay for it. If the internet is not important, because you may experience days at a time without it or regular intermittent interruptions then just go for a standard package. When I lived in Bantayan, Dumaguete I used Sky, Smart, Globe and eventually PLDT, the last one worked best for me but at that time PLDT had only just started providing internet in the area.
    For me internet was vital so I went with Immerse Networks who provide guaranteed bandwidth of SDSL (no sharing with an over-subscribed ISP and same speed for uploads and downloads). Obviously it costs a bit more but it's there when I want it, all of the time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1