Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Barking dogs (Was Dgte City Bylaws)

1. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Dogs that are chained/caged/neglected by their humans are the ones that are barking; very sad but too common.

I have 3 Belgian Malinois that have a free run of the yard and house...but d*mn they do have some huge voices when trying to alert us to something. I know they can be quite noisy, especially with the wife or me get back to the house...they missed us after all. Their barking at night is normally finished in a minute or so once they've figured out all is good.

We have good dogs and I never have to worry about my wife and family.

Shawn

• Like Like x 6
  2. rbrown

rbrown DI Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 8
    Same problem here....the wife says they keep the dogs as an alarm system for people trying to steal their "game birds". I asked why does the "alarm" have to go off all the time when no one is trying to steal their obnoxious "game birds"? The treatment/living conditions of most dogs by locals is borderline criminal.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. WATSISNAME

WATSISNAME DI Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 100
    Have you talked to him and explained the prob?..... most people, aussies or others will listen and try to work out a solution...If its the same situation after talking drastic measures (like harm to the dogs) would be considered by me.....
    I had same situation here with a local, went and seen them and problem solved....just sayin.........

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    Maayong Buntag, TC..
    I would hope that most of the "poison the little rats.." advocates are just kidding, or at least too drunk to actually act of their posts. And of course you are correct, most civilized countries have laws against animal abuse. Unfortunately, most don't have laws against animal neglect, which is what many of the animals in Dumaguete suffer from (the ones that bark for hours on end). Also unfortunately, the Philippines has a history of passing unenforceable laws ("no more than two on a motorcycle" but inefficient public transport).

I would hope that perhaps this country can raise a generation which honors animals as part of the pack instead of a chained up motion detector. A well cared for happy dog can still be extremely alert to bark at people at the gate.

PS, a fan and earplugs seem to work best....

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    A good reason to be cautious with taking your pets to vets in Dumaguete. If they believe superstition over scientific peer reviewed studies I'd personally be looking for a new vet. :wink:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm a dog lover but have been in the same situation as jimeve, it can really drive you nuts when the neighbors with the barking dogs and the barangay captain see you as the problem. No sleep at night over a long time and most people get a twisted brain. Most of barking dogs are in a cord or chain 24/7 which are torture against the dogs, but who cares. Against street dogs who roam free around you already get a lot of advice, one more from me, I use firecrackers, most dogs run away, it works for me

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Dew foam maybe on Ma Christina Street Same street as Lee Plaza Parking entrance

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    Reducing the noise maybe the solution to noisey neighbors, karaoke, roosters, no mufflers etc..
    My friend wanted to keep the morning light out of his room. He got a big piece of that blue foam used to stuff furniture. He cut it to fit his window. Not only did it keep out the light, he says he can't hear anything from outside.
    I don't know where to get it but it is around town and fairly cheap.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    interesting discussion. two groups of people here: the minority of matured ones, suggesting to talk to the neighbour to find a solution. the majority is debating about poisoning dogs and sharing receipes for that. you people make me really feel sick. people who are willing to kill animals in such a cruel way are mostly the ones who feel no big empathy for humans also, except themselves. I know you, Mr. Superior, moaning at 10am at the boulevard with a beer in your hand about natives, muslims, commies, women and so on. OK; I stop it here at this point. Just give you one more: Philippines Republic Act No 8485, "Animal Welfare Act":
    SECTION 6. It shall be unlawful for any person to torture any animal, to neglect to provide adequate care, sustenance or shelter, or maltreat any animals or to subject any dog or horse to dogfights or horse fights, kill or cause or procure to be tortured or deprived of adequate care sustenance or shelter, or maltreat or use the same in research or experiments not expressly authorized by the Committee on Animal welfare.
    SECTION 8. Any person who violate, any of the provisions of this Act shall, upon conviction by final judgment, be punished by imprisonment of not less than six (6) months nor more than two (2) years or a fine of not less than One thousand pesos (P1,000) nor more than Five thousand pesos (P5,000) or both at the discretion of the court. If the violation is committed by a juridical person, the officer responsible therefore shall serve the imprisonment when imposed. If violation is committed by an alien, he or she shall be immediately deported after serviced sentence without any further proceedings.
    so give me your shitstorm now or shut up and start thinking.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Sorry but I disagree here, Although were are non Status they know who pays the bills

• Agree Agree x 3