Dumaguete Info Search

Review Best Posts in Thread: Disgusting Incident at Why Not Restaurant

1. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    For some reason I keep reading this thread even though the spelling of "Disgusting" bothers me for some odd reason. It is spelt with 2 cc's in other forms of English and I'm off?

Obviously the guys' action to get so drunk is disturbing, but it seems no one knows the guy personally so assumptions are made that he is an alcoholic which most commenters (including myself) are not qualified to make that diagnosis. Perhaps the stress of his wife's hospital stay, accompanied with living 4 hours away led to a want to be around other expats, made the guy over indulge...maybe the guy hadn't had a drink in years. I can't say as well as most I'd be willing to guess.

Most troubling, why did someone not stand up and try to get him on a trike and back to where he needed to be earlier? Obviously we are not responsible for other peoples actions, but condemning someone while sitting back is pretty sad. A couple dollars worth of peso to get the guy out is a small price to pay. If an attempt was made and he told you to walk off, then you did what you could do.

Coming up in the military and the 10 years since I retired I have made sure folks have gotten home before they got themselves in trouble more times than I can count. Not so much in the Philippines as I do not hang out late around Dumaguete, but even coming back to Korea a few months ago I took it upon myself to get an US contractor out of a bar and into a taxi before he got his drunk a$$ beat down for being stupid, did not know the guy and from what I saw he was a complete f***head. I ended up drinking for free the rest of the night from both other customers and bar staff; and I was able to quietly walk myself to my hotel...

I do not know of any culture where it is acceptable to put your feet on a table at a restaurant...that is just wrong. How many times have folks been at a movie at Robinsons and found some locals feet up next to the seat you are sitting? A few more times than I've seen in other places and that has made me voice my "opinion" on that to them. Same with planes with pretty much every country, that one really gets me twisted.

We need to police ourselves when we are out and about, more so when living/working abroad. It is not my point in this reply to say that anyone needs to put themselves in a position where an idiot would want to cause you harm or be belligerent towards but maybe a bit of a talk and help can get someone where they are not going to make a fool of themselves and add to the impression all expats are drunks and looking for the shady side of the Philippines.

Shawn

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Genius Genius x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Sounds more like a guy that has absolutely no control over how much alcohol he consumes (alcoholism) than a worried husband. A worried husband would not have left the recovery room to go self-medicate his depression/worry with alcohol if the situation was so dire.

:meh: Uh huh.

Here is my basic understanding of alcoholism (aka drug addiction):

The guy sounds like he has a serious drinking problem if he is drinking so much that he passes out in a restaurant and starts vomiting on himself and the table. Chances are he was an older man....if wisdom truly does come with age then he should have known that drinking yourself d*mn near into a coma won't do a d*mn thing to cure your anxiety/depression nor will it help your wife recover any faster (it will probably do the opposite since she is sitting in the hospital by herself worried what happened to her husband that just went out for a bite to eat). So, IMHO, he is either an alcoholic, a moron.....or both.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    1)Not every culture sees that as a big deal, instead of taking a picture they should have informed him that was very very bad manors here, to the point of insulting everyone who saw it. He may have been apologetic and grateful for the lesson. If he responded as a jerk, then yes, have at him.

2)as a comparison, let's not forget it is perfectly acceptable to walk by and spit a big wad of snot on the sidewalk in front of this table, AND to p*ss on the wall 10 feet away. Both of which are much more offensive to me than someone with their feet up.

3)Not sure about the link you saw but all of the posts my wife showed me called all westerners "Germs". Insulting an entire group of people on purpose because of one guy's accidental insult.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Genius Genius x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    What would be the appropriate thing to do with a person like that if the staff doesn't know who the guy is or where he lives? Call the police? They have better things to do than deal with a drunk loser. (I'd personally pay the P15 for a trike to take him to the hospital and let him wake up in the ER with a large medical bill, or at the very least just dump him on the steps of the hospital. :wink:)

You were introduced to him by someone? I assume a friend of his? Why not give him a call and tell him to come deal with the pathetic loser and then tell him to never introduce you to any more of his friends.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Some deserved negative comments here about certain guests and their behaviour .... but it is very noticeable how many postings on this thread are from very decent human beings .... important to remember that the bad ones are just a minority.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Sounds like she is intimidated by expats to me...especially unpredictable drunk ones. Can't really blame her for that. The night managers at Why Not are better equipped to deal with the drunks than the daytime restaurant staff/managers.

I think it is getting to the point to where we, the expat community, need to start policing ourselves and letting those that act like twats know that they, and their antics, are not welcome. Landlords need to deny rent and evict drunks and problem starters. There will always be a landlord that will take money from a drunk and tolerate them but those places should be only suitable for squatters. Bar owners (aka legal drug dealers) should be held partially liable for feeding these drunks addiction and for any damage they may cause to other people. Note: Bar owners should not be held responsible for any injury or damage a drunk does on to themselves...that would only enable drunks and allow them to pass the blame for their own demise on to others. Alcoholics should be completely liable for the damage they cause to themselves and to others...and if they hurt someone else the bar should have to match whatever the addict had to pay out to the 3rd party.

It is getting ridiculous in the Philippines with the quality of expats coming in. I really think the Philippines should shorten their allowed tourist visa stay to 6 months or less and create a new type of resident visa for those that are single and can prove they have enough money to live comfortably in the country. Anyone proven to be a drug addict (this includes alcoholics), even if on a resident visa, should be shown the door and blacklisted for at least a year.

Par for the course. She's not going to put her safety on the line (dealing with drunks) for a bunch of long noses or their business. She should have called the police, had them remove him and throw him in a cell until he sobers up (which he should have to pay rent for at around P1k/hour until he is able to blow a 0.00 on a breathalyzer) but she probably didn't want to have to deal with the repercussions of police reports or possibly having to show up in court as a witness. If the owner isn't alright with this he should retrain the manager or hire a new one with more experience. If the owner doesn't care.....then I guess you should find somewhere else to eat at.

Was there anything stopping you from calling the police? You could have called them and said there was a medical emergency (the guy had alcohol poisoning). Have him sent to the hospital via ambulance, which surely would have pissed him off when he came to and had to pay the bill.

If this 911 thing actually starts to work I will certainly be using it to "save the life" of many passed out drunks. Better safe than sorry I say....f*ck what it costs the drunks, not my problem.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Genius Genius x 1
  7. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    That was my initial reaction to the picture as well. However, there is a group of expats there that are complete knobheads and arrogant twats to boot. Would love to see them ran out of Valencia.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Wow, I feel sorry for his wife. Dealing with that level of alcoholism has to be rough on her and the family.

• Agree Agree x 7
  9. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It's our choice to live in 3. world country, and sometimes we meet a reality, we are not used to. I have phone numbers in my wallet and of course in my phone. It's scary to think what will happen to you, if you end up unconscious in an accident, hope you are lucky and meet right people. I know and seen foreigner run away from accident where people are injured, try it my self. I understand why they run, I'm no saint, but will always stop and do what I can,to help a person who can't take care of them self. I will follow to hospital, I don't say I sign to pay hospital bill, but will try find out if there are a family or friends around, who can take care. Hospital can't force you to sign or pay. I can live with my self after, I know I did my best

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Good idea. He may be having a reaction to the alcohol (diabetic perhaps) or he may have eaten something besides alcohol that made him sick or he may just need a blood transfusion to replace the alcohol in his arteries with real blood. :-)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1