PayPal has been discussed several times here on the forum (with you being active in many of those threads). You knew the answer...you just didn't want to accept it.
So send your money into an Australian bank.
Opening a new personal account
You might not be able to do that online, depending on what kind of "pension" you have. Closing you Australian accounts and sending the money to a Philippine bank was a mistake (if you wanted to use PayPal).
It isn't useless. I've used mine several times because my US PayPal account was useless when trying to buy anything online in the Philippines. You can put your money into an Australian bank and then move it into the Philippines...you just choose not to. Can't have your cake and eat it too.
It wouldn't have been useless. Whoever told you that didn't understand how it could be used. And why would you pay to close a PayPal account? Just withdraw all the money, unlink all your accounts/cards and let it sit. PayPal would have eventually closed the account after it sat empty and inactive for a few years.
Maybe another method to get money into a Philippine PayPal account would be to create a "PayPal.Me" link and pay yourself that way. Here is what I would do if I were in your situation:
- Link a Philippine bank debit/credit card to your existing personal PayPal account if you haven't already done so. (Unlink your bank account if it is already linked to your personal account.)
- Create a Philippine PayPal business account. (I was not concerned with being a legitimate Philippine business when I personally did this...and neither was PayPal concerned with verifying it. If it violates Philippine banking laws/PayPal rules I don't give a crap.)
- Link your Philippine bank account to your business PayPal account. (For PayPal balance withdrawal purposes.)
- From the business account go to "Send or Request Payments".
- Click on "Get your PayPal.Me" link:
- Set it up:
- Create the link and copy it.
- Log out of your business account and log into your personal account.
- Click on the link and pay yourself the amount you want. (It will be charged to your debit/credit card. If you want to withdraw your PayPal balance it will go back into your account linked to your business PayPal.)
- The link will look something like this: Pay Dustin Wrye using PayPal.Me (Note: Do not send me money. You will get nothing and I won't give it back.)
- You should now have a PayPal balance in your business account.
Just add the link to your bookmarks and then you can pay yourself with just a few clicks. Loophole! Suck it PayPal and/or Philippine legislators!
You lose a bit of money doing it that way with the fees, but they aren't very high.
Edit: It appears if you use another personal account you can make that link a "Send to Friends/Family" option, which they say is "sometimes free". So maybe create another personal PayPal account for the wife/gf and have her set up a "PayPal.Me" link and send money to that account for shopping online.
To make the link request a certain amount add this:
To specify the currency add the currency code behind the amount:Code:https://www.paypal.me/WryeD/200