Dumaguete Info Search

Suggestion Best Posts in Thread: LAND REFORM

1. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    The stories I have heard about ownership battles over land are amusing and amazing. That is one of the primary reason I would probably never consider buying land. Too many times I have heard that a distant previous clan relative arrives on the buyer's doorstep (usually after improvement like building a house has been completed by the new owner) claiming a percent of the ownership and demands "their rights" for their fair share out of the new owner. Honest clear title are hard to find
    Recently I meet a young couple on their way for the final meeting to Siquijor to finalize the purchase of a piece of property to complete their life dreams of starting a homestead/family farm. Upon return when asked about their new purchase, they replied the ownership signatures on documents were forged (and probably notarized too) for some of owners involved. They stopped the purchase. We all know who would have paid/suffered for that scam. I just do not want to wake up in a cold or warm sweat some morning, wondering if what I paid for I actually own, or if some stranger will arrive on my doorstep someday demanding additional money.
    I came to the Philippines for peace, not stress. When I need stress I drive in the Philippines... :o o:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Depends if they are related to a lawyer or a judge and how high in the court system it gets taken.

The answer seems to be "10 years"....but that depends on several factors:

Note: "this court" quoted above is the Supreme Court.

Seems that if you have possession of the land and are living on it you should be clear after 10 years (if you are once removed from the fraudulent sale). My brain isn't working all that well this morning so I could be very wrong about that. As always: don't mistake anything I say for legal advice. It's not.

• Informative Informative x 3
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    It has been screwed up (by Western standards) for a very long time and I doubt it will be fixed any time soon. They take clan/family very serious in the Philippines (and much of Asia) and any reform to the land laws would threaten the hand-me-down/keep-it-in-the-family status quo. They care not about making things easier or more civil for anyone outside of their own clans/families. /opinion

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1