Dumaguete Info Search

Electronics & Appliances Best Posts in Thread: Countertop Oven vs Glass Turbo Oven?

1. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    Indeed they are at the Outlet you purchase from but Mataio Marketing on St Catalina Street ( a few doors up from Ace logic) are the Service centre for La Germania And a visit there is well worth a visit, they keep a comprehensive stock of Spares It does not look much from the Outside but it really is a little Aladdin's cave inside.
    Call (035) 422-7556 / 419-9888 :wink:
    Matiao Marketing, Inc. :thumbsup:

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  2. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I think I am going to try the 'Turbo Oven' route. The kitchen upper cabinets are installed for a range, there is a separate backsplash installed for behind a range, but the lower cabinets and countertop are installed straight across, no opening for a range. I have an induction "burner", and will get the Turbo Oven plus a double gas burner stove to supplement and be brownout proof (for cooking anyways).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. artpepper88

artpepper88 DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +98 / 43
    Best Answer
    I bought a Germania 4-burner gas stove with oven (complete stove as we know it, in other words). Bought it from Centrum Appliances for 19,000 pisos. And a gas bottle and regulator for around 4,000 pisos. Works very well - do roasts, casseroles (and anything with coriander...). Gas supply lasts about 3 months.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    We use a la germania oven full size and bake pretty much everything in it,not best of quality and parts not easy to come by. The one thing i dont like about ovens here is the lower burner runs from front to back instead of along the back. But we have had for 6 yrs now and still good.
    As goes for cooking casseroles buy yourself a slow cooker p1000,cheap to run and makes great food.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    1. They cost a lot.
    2. Most of these "reliable brands" aren't very reliable in the Philippines because many/most operate on electricity. Electricity is stupid expensive (and unreliable) in the Philippines and it just doesn't make sense to use electric appliances when gas alternatives are available (and they even work during brownouts...remember that 1 good sized typhoon or earthquake can knock out the electricity -and water - for WEEKS OR MONTHS).
    3. The taxes to import Western goods/products is outrageous, making "reliable" and expensive brands even more expensive.
    4. The average Filipino can't afford them and most expats rent and just use what is in the place they are renting....or they are also broke and can't afford them either.
    5. It is notoriously difficult to have a business honor the warranties that usually come with these more expensive products that make them worth more money. ("Sorry sir, we have to send it to Manila to have the warranty honored. It should be repaired and returned in 6 months to 1 year.")
    To be perfectly honest, I don't think Filipinos aren't missing out on anything with not having these "high end" appliances from the West available. They are not made like they used to be. Companies do not profit off a product that only has to be purchased once every 20-40 years by a household. Most are designed to last around 5-10 years these days before you need to throw it out and buy another.
    I do not like any cooking appliances that are powered by electricity. Electricity is just too d*mn expensive in the Philippines. I'd stick to a cheaper full-size burner/oven combo unit that uses gas (I know you weren't asking for that). I personally use as little electricity as possible just to keep my money out of NORECO's hands.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. AlwaysRt

AlwaysRt DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Blood Donor Veteran Air Force Marines

Ratings:
    +1,329 / 391
    Blood Type:
    A+
    They are not the same which is why you need to know which is required for your particular burner. Some burners come with the necessary parts to replace so it can be used with either gas. Can't just use one or the other, have to swap out the parts first.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    I'm not 100% sure but I think the cooking gas here is natural gas and can be any combination of ethane, methane, propane and butane. Sometimes it burns clean and other times not.
    I bought a cook top (italian) and it came with jets for propane and another set for natural gas.
    Natural gas is odorless so the suppliers and ethylmercaptain to give it that smell.
    Keeping the burners clean really helps them burn clean. On the cheap cookers a little dirt in the plenum where the gas and air mix makes them almost not work.

8. artpepper88

artpepper88 DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +98 / 43
    Yes, odour is added here - you can often get a whiff of it when changing over the cylinders.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Dave & Imp

Dave & Imp DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 884
    I use that same combination, along with a barbecue. The gas burner and barbecue are on a separate gas "jugs" so I always have at lease one source of cooking fuel, electricity, gas jug 1, or gas jug 2. The two jugs have not run out of gas at the same time. I just move the jug to the unit I need gas on. I really do not use the barbecue too often as the turbo does the grilling part.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    I could only answer this by putting a link up about a product I use and I would hazard a guess that most of the other suppliers are the same;
    Solane: Cooking with gas made safer and easier
    I am not really sure if it is off topic or not but I am sure one of the team will move it if it is but it was asked and now answered. Hope it satisfies your curiosity Brian.
    BTW we have a LA Germania 4 ring Cooker with fan Oven and never had a problem, in fact I have never heard of any problems from those I know that have Gas ranges. :wink: