Dumaguete Info Search

Utilities & Mobile Best Posts in Thread: Internet in Valencia

1. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I cannot give you facts, but I can give you clues.

Today is a brownout all over Dumaguete and area. A few of us are smart/lucky enough to be in places where we have some sort of power back up. On a normal Sunday my PLDT Internet sucks, even though speed tests show I am getting the 3 Mbps that I have been getting for years. On a normal Sunday all the kids and local people are at home playing on line. Today I am getting the same 3 Mbps speeds from the same PLDT modem but my Internet is fabulous. I bet the rest of us who can get online today are having no problems whatsoever. So tell me why a broken undersea cable (the excuse usually given) is not a problem when there is a brownout in Dumaguete? Hmmm, methinks the system is oversold and not capable of handling all the customers on a normal day and has nothing to do with broken cables.

What say you Watson?

Unfortunately the brownout will be over in a couple of hours and the system will be back to slow streaming speeds. And once again it will be someone else's fault.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Pldt have recently run fiber optic cables from valencia to bacong underground,we are still waiting on any connection from them.
    Now i see globe are canvassing 15meg with no bandwidth limits around here but globe cannot provide 15 meg with unlimited as of yet here so as usual the globe guys are wasting their time.
    Im pretty sure unless globe get their act together they are going to take a big hit on customers if pldt can get their lines sorted.
    P1,899 for 20meg and unlimited bandwidth from pldt. Heres hoping

• Like Like x 2
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Globe likes to show you their intranet speeds (how fast they can talk to their own servers in Cebu). Quite worthless as less than 0.00000000000000000001% of the internet is hosted on Globe's Cebu servers.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Just to correct the terminology: "Meg" is short for Megabyte or MB (in this case: per second). It gets routinely confused with Megabit or Mbit (per second). The problem with that is that connections are denominated in Mbit, and there are 8 bits in one byte.
    Ergo, a 20 Mbit connection would promise 20/8=2.5 MB/s download speed.
    Equally, a 50 Mbit connection equals roughly 6 MB/s .

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. barryrio

barryrio DI Member

Ratings:
    +328 / 26
    If you live near the main roads in Valencia why not go for the new PLDT fiber option. They are hooking up the boxes now, that is what all those "Aceum" crews are doing. Pal of mine further up Jose Romero Road has already subscribed and is waiting for the new system to go live. 1899 a month for 20 Meg unlimited data or 50 Meg with data cap. Just look for the new PLDT cement posts and a cable with little red tags on it. If you have one of those nearby you may well be in luck. Our line runs up Jose Romero, crosses over at Bong Bong and goes back down to Valencia on the Lungga road.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Best Answer
    Internet speeds are likely going to change depending on what barangay you are in. I think Fil-Products, if available, is going to have the best overall experience in Valencia since it is wired internet. You won't have to worry about signal strength or funny rf propagation through foliage in certain locations.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1