Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: FRUIT FLIES

1. WATSISNAME

WATSISNAME DI Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 100
    Just an update in case I put anyone off trying to grow passionfruit here......Most of the fruit do get stung, the ones that are stung early fall off.....The ones that get some size on them before the fly gets to them are ok....The sting doesn't penetrate all the way through to the centre of the fruit, the skin is to thick.....maybe one in fifty has had grubs in it.....

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. WATSISNAME

WATSISNAME DI Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 100
    We have passionfruit seedlings here if anyone wants them...u dig.....ure pot....yours :smile:
    they are about 4-5 inches tall

• Like Like x 2
  3. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Maybe the extra heat from the bags are causing them to ripen early? Little air flow...but are cheap bags. How about the white insect screen that is available? Some small zip ties and you could make some bags, haven't tried it but the Koreans use similar for their pear apples and it seems to work.

We've had some struggles with some plants so I made a PVC/insect screen frame before I left to place over some newly planted seeds in the garden. The wife just planted some seeds the other day so, fingers crossed we will have some better luck.

Off topic...we purchased some vermicompost from the place by the airport (don't remember the name now) and we put that around the garden and the wife's struggling flower gardens as well as a bunch of flower seeds and before I left seeds were popping up everywhere and she says even more have been coming up since I left this past Saturday. 250 peso for a 50 kilo bag is golden in my opinion.

Shawn

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Isn't that SO very true :smile:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤