Dumaguete Info Search

Trades & Labor Best Posts in Thread: Finding a Helper

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    There is a law that states how much you should pay a helper and what is required from both the employer and employee.

P3000 is too much. Depending on where you live it would be either P1500 or P2000 (Valencia would be P1500, Dumaguete P2000). If you are in the NCR the minimum salary is P2500. 13 month pay is a requirement.

I wouldn't start any helper with more than the minimum. Most are extremely tapolan and will be fired in short order. If they do a good job I would quickly give them a raise.

https://www.dole.gov.ph/files/IRR of domestic workers act.pdf

There's the law.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Since pay is better for part time
    I would be thinking the same as them girls. 4 hours a day is 200 so in 2 weeks I would get the same as the girl who worked live-in all month
    We tend to think these girls are not good at math and that is true in that they do not think of the value of room and board in a nice home. They only look at cash in pocket, or so it seems to me.

• Agree Agree x 5
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  3. starreggie

starreggie DI Junior Member

Web Designer
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I pay my part time house help 200 pesos for 4 hours of work but she had done lots of side jobs for me so I based her rate on her previous outputs. Her tasks includes laundry, cleaning, cooking and accompanying me to the grocery every weekend. I could get others to help me for a cheaper rate but it will cause me too much drama. Lesser drama, more efficiency...

For those wanting help via an agency in Dumaguete:
    Hel4U
    Phone: (035) 422 8114
    Email: dmgtehelp4u@yahoo.com

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  4. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    I'd aim for 2-2.5k starting myself for a live in. Raise could come up quickly depending if she's trustworthy and good at her job. Most however will try and sit on their phone all day long when your not looking so they come and go rather quickly. Further as a foreigner we usually treat them as another member of the family offering good food, them going out with us to dinner sometimes, and plenty of rest time and maybe their own tv in their own room. Most Filipino's treat their helpers like crap and slaves. If the gal has worked as a helper before she knows the difference and will appreciate you for it. If they don't like it they can always leave and often they find a reason to leave even if your paying them a lot more so why bother.

Part-time I'd start at 50p an hour always giving them the benefit of the doubt when comes to the hour. If they live a bit further can always toss in an extra 20p for fair each day they work. I'd offer them lunch if they aren't just half day workers looking to be out by noon (plenty of them I've found just want 3-4 hours a day from like 8/9am-noon.

Far as finding one that gets to be the problem. I just lost my part-time helper who moved on into a tesda program so can't recommend her anymore. Have to watch who because you could get a dozen living nearby loving the idea to make some :greedy: but lazy and high chance of thievery. Try and wait for a recommendation from friends or even your landlord if your renting.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    I totally agree, but after exploring 4 different options with helpers and offering that exact amount, each one refused. Its not that the ladies thought it was unfair but when they talked to friends and family they were told something like: "He's a foreigner, don't work for him for filipino wages" and they each turned down the offer.

Further discussions with many friends who have helpers seems to illustrate that they are all paying more than that for good ones but will not say exactly how much as someone else will offer them more and steal them away. :angelic:

I/we even tried to find a high school student to work after school, babysitting, and they don't seem to want to work after school. Strange culture.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. starreggie

starreggie DI Junior Member

Web Designer
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Sorry folks, my bad! It's Help4U hehehe and I can no longer edit it.

• Like Like x 3
  7. DELETED-shotshapers

DELETED-shotshapers Guest Guest User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I couldn't agree more, what an absolute bunch of wasters, take take take take, and no shame what so ever, makes my blood boil

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The law is already enforced. Like any law in the Philippines, someone will have to press charges before it is enforced. A disgruntled helper could file a case against any employer that didn't follow this law.

• Like Like x 2
  9. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    One thing I don't fully understand is how the new law gets implemented (to pay for SSS and Phil Health). Laws like this can be very dangerous to an employer, not only for the criminal implications of not paying but also for the civil implications of a helper being hospitalized without insurance or retiring with no pension benefit. It seems that some or most of these employees want the employer to give the cash up front, as part of their salary. Then they use the money for other purposes.

Do employers fulfill their responsibilities by just giving them the money? If so that leaves loopholes for employers that make the law useless and would not meet the intent..."I pay her 2500 but she must use 500 for Phil Heath and sss".

But you know she probably does not.

The other extreme would be to require her to set up SSS and Phil health accounts & somehow authorize you to pay into her accounts.

Most employers would probably refuse the record keeping task! I would.

So, how do they implement this and how do you prove you comply(Ied) with this law if/when challenged for any reason? Or is it just the honor system? I don't like honor systems especially when courts would be weighed against "rich" foreigners vs poor helpers. Does anyone have an understanding as to how this works? Thanks for any input to this newcomer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    You get what you pay for. What the law states is the absolute minimum. I wouldn't expect above average performance for a monthly salary that borders on modern slavery.

I'm not saying every potential helper will work better if paid better, but you have a bigger chance to attract good helpers if you offer a reasonable amount. Taking the helpers circumstances of living into account might as well help - a woman with kids will naturally need more money but may still be the better option in the long run (less probable to 'run away', not totally clueless with house chores)

• Agree Agree x 2