Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Western Union Fees

1. Senjenbing

Senjenbing DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines Navy

Milliways - at the end of time and matter
    Ratings:
    +419 / 198
    I used WU for years, along with Moneygram, but found WU rates increasing exponentially and incessant phone calls to prove my/my wife's ID way too troublesome under the auspices of "security" when, in fact, it did nothing to enhance the security of the transaction. I now use World Remit - they're UK based and it's all done online. Fees are around 0.001% dependent on amount and the money can be transferred to banks or picked up in cash from outlets such as MLHullier. Cash transfer time is around 5-10 minutes. All supported by text and email confirmations to sender and recipient. Highly recommend!

www.worldremit.com

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I've never sent money from the PI, but that sure sounds odd that they would have to convert it twice. I've only sent money on-line and in person from Korea (US military base) and it shows up in USD for the wife to pick up. They actually ask if you want it picked up in USD or peso. I think that would be worth going on-line to WU and make an inquiry to what their policies are. If you can pick up USD in Dumaguete it would make sense that you could send USD without a conversion.

Using WU is a pain, especially when they deny the transaction and you have to go through all the BS to prove why you are sending $$...usually happens every 1-2 years for me. I have a friend who happens to have the same name as someone WU barred from sending and even after many hours on the phone trying to prove he is not that person he is SOL and has to have his wife send money.

Shawn

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Plainspoken

Plainspoken DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    I don't hold scammers in the same regard as hackers. I did mean hackers, meaning Filipino's that try to hack into the systems in other parts of the world. That is a totally different thing from what the Scammers do. We have both in the Philippines. Sometimes when an attack occurs, whole servers are blocked by some sites in the real world. If you happen to be on that server and try to do business you will be blocked. I sometimes get a message from Schwab telling me that the site is unavailable and to call their customer service number. A couple times I have called and gotten through enough tiers to get the answer that sometimes whole servers are blocked here in the PH for security issues. You sometimes can restart the modem and get reconnected and get hooked to a different server, and sometimes you have to wait until the next day. They don't like VPN's either. I don't know anything about computers but I'm assuming that if they say it is for security, they have either had some attempts from the blocked server or maybe is has some IP's on the blacklist, I don't know. I just know that we do have some serious hackers here and some serious scammers but yes they are different.

This is what comes up for Schwab when I am trying to get to the secure login page and I'm on a server that is blocked. I am not even able to get to the login page on the site.

[​IMG]

We’re sorry, but we were unable to authorize your request. Please call us at 800-433-9196 and provide reference number SWAF-18.cd231c78.1505489484.1c73bac6. We apologize for any inconvenience.

0915-82LR

This site can’t be reached
    www.xxxxxxxx.com refused to connect.
    ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

In these cases you can, as I say, either reboot the modem or wait usually 1 day, by which time you are on a different server. Some other financial or government sites do not have the same security so some never exhibit this behavior.
    As I say, the Schwab security pros have told me this about the blockages, I don't know that much about it, I just am taking their word for it. It may all just be BS, I don't know.

• Informative Informative x 2