Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Negros NPA

1. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    I'm not for communism, but did want to talk about your second point.

I think it's a little shortsighted to think that everyone wants to sit on their butts all day and let the rich pay for everything. I'd say a big part of the issue is there just isn't enough opportunity to support everyone working at decent pay. The Philippines is a perfect example of that. Way more people than the economy can support.

I have a good friend who owns some section 8 housing and his tenants are primarily single woman with a couple of kids. They are on public assistance and also getting disability payments for he kids who have ADD. People can make more money doing nothing, so why not kick back. The system is broken.

I'll thought I would add a little color to the numbers you threw out.

45% of Americans pay no federal income tax

With respect to the 45% paying no taxes. Everyone pays taxes, not everyone pays income taxes, but everyone pays taxes on almost everything they buy or consume. Those taxes go to the government. In addition, taxes are baked in to product costs in the form of tariffs, so there is another instance where they pay. The other misleading part of throwing that number out is that a significant number of those are retirees. They have to stop working at some time, don't they?

taxpayers_by_age.png

With respect to the "rich" paying for everything. They certainly pay more $$, but what I found interesting is that they don't necessarily pay a higher percent. It it harder for me to come up with 25% for them to come up with 25%. Who should we feel more sorry for? I know you don't feel sorry for anyone, and I'm not asking your for you feel sorry for me either, just asking you to think.
    effective tax.jpg

The images are from:
    Who doesn’t pay taxes, in eight charts

I just find it curious that it's easier to sympathize with people that have more money than they know what to do with it, than people who barely survive from one day to the next. Do you really believe people chose to struggle from day to day?

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    One definition of a "terrorist" is 'a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims'. If the NPA threatens to burn down buildings unless certain 'taxes' are paid then I would say they do fit the description of 'terrorists'. This is similar to the extortion of the Mafia "Take out our 'fire insurance' or your place may (WILL) burn down." Often terrorist groups lose their 'cause' and become indistinguishable from criminals. But then again, Nelson Mandela was seen as a 'terrorist' under a repressive minority government and then elected President under a majority government of his own people. So was he ever a 'terrorist'? I felt that the IRA had a valid cause to re-unite Ireland, but as soon as they targeted civilians I changed my attitude and despised them.

My view, therefore, is that The Philippines has a democratically elected government (we can think what we want about HOW some get elected, but Duterte has a massive majority and I think his right to be President cannot be disputed) and those who disagree with the rule of law need to go to the ballot box - if they think threatening ordinary innocent people is the right way then they are misguided. Who wants to be governed by people who use threats to gain their objectives? They would just bring that MO into government to fill their own pockets with property stolen from the innocent.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    It was 39% with the next placed candidate at about 24% - I call that a clear difference. The only people who get elected with overwhelming majorities are Kim Jong-Un and his like - and I think there is a reason for that (otherwise they become 'chop-to-go'!)

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Please it is not "negrosian" it is Negrenes and applies to all people from Negros Island. The NPA has a few arms. Both political and armed. When they go around demanding "revolutionary" taxes or else they burn your assets, or demand payment in order to campaign in their areas, that is not in the best interest of the country. That is operating outside of government and it is violence. If you look at the definition of terrorism, then by doing these things they fit the description to a tee.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Plainspoken

Plainspoken DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +325 / 280
    If agreeing with the definition of the word terrorist as used by the US government, the Philippine government and the European Union, then it is ludicrous to say that the NPA is not a terrorist group. They have been declared a terrorist organization by the United States government, the Philippine government, and the European Union. I am assuming that these entities have enough information to make such a determination.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 1,261
    The NPA have been busy burning private property. A couple of months ago they burnt some mining equipment near Siaton.
    Duterte did not win the election with a majority, however he does have an approval rating close to 80%.
    The Npa did start with a political goal (communism) which appears to have been reduced to doing whatever to avoid getting a real job.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. osodelnorte

osodelnorte DI Forum Adept Restricted Account Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +254 / 86
    you say potato... i say tater... i say negrosians.. you can say whatever you wish.. the NPA never demanded anything of me.. have they of you.. all i know is there has been peace on negros for a long time.. while there was fighting elsewhere.. and i would like to see it stay this way... they are not my enemy.. nor do i wish them to be.. i understand their plight.. the philippines is a really messed up place.. where filipinos live in poverty while the elite plunder.. terrorist my butt.. not on negros..

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Nationalism leads to some extremely dangerous behavior. Nationalism is an extremist version of patriotism. Semantics perhaps.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    The big differentiator between your two examples is one is by choice and one isn't.

• Like Like x 2