Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Hi Greetings from Thailand.

1. Happyandre

Happyandre DI New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Andre here from thailand. Been retired from work and living in Thailand for 8 years. I'm 61 now and looking to split my time between here (Pattaya) and Phils.
    I'm Australian and have a great bunch of expat friends here... it's a great community... good group of tennis and golf buddies... meet for coffee couple times a week but I need somewhere to spend say 4 or 5 months a year away from here.
    Travelled to Phils 5 times over the past 3 years Angeles, Subic, Olongapo, Baguio, Manila, Tagbilaran, Cebu, Panglao, Palawan etc (not been to Davao though) and crossed off most places as a living option, but after a few days in Dumaguete in November seems to be the place that would suit me best.
    At a glance appears there is a better class of expat there.. doesn't seem to attract the sexpats and hardcore bar drinkers. A few expats I met were friendly and gave me an insight into the more laidback lifestyle.
    So I'm planning on a trip latter this month say 10 nights rent a condo...do a mini living experience.... bring my golf clubs, tennis racquet rent a bike and see how it goes.
    Been researching golf and tennis there. Golf thing is easy seems most golfers meet Monday Wednesday and Fridays and play... visited the club when I was there.
    Tennis seems a bit more difficult to get information on.
    I saw the courts in Valencia and know there are others...Motong and Praxevilla.
    Contact details are hard to find.
    It would be great if anyone knows anything about the tennis scene there.. I really only like doubles but like to knock as well.
    If you golf I'm a 14 hcp or tennis i'm a bit below say intermediate and wouldn't mind catching up for a game...or a coffee (or a beer) when I'm in town please let me know.
    If anyone wants information on Thailand happy to help.
    Thanks in advance for any information.
    Regards to all...Andre

• Like Like x 4
  2. Happyandre

Happyandre DI New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Thanks for the replies... when looking to spend a considerable amount of time in a place..say 5 months a year ...and when you know no one it takes research in what you're looking for.
    I'm active ... need to do be busy and have options on what I can do. It also takes time and effort to build up a network of friends or associates. I think that's the hardest part about moving... the effort needed to find like minded people, I'm a social creature like to meet for coffee..etc. I have that where I am but Pattaya is becoming so influxed with tourists it's now uncomfortable to stay here without finding somewhere else for a break.
    The town is always packed with hoards of Chinese and Indian tourists, this has been a big change over the last 2 years.
    If your life revolves around drinking in bars and finding a friend every night to take home this place is sensational, but I'm beyond that now...Pattaya is a great base but need a second home.
    Manila was too big ... I rented a condo in Cebu for 10 nights in the I T Park.. but found Cebu uninteresting... had no feel, The better part of Subic was alright..good tennis facilities nice mall... and if all else fails an option, Baguio is nice but isolated ...didn't even see many foreigners there...
    Again appreciate your comments... I'm really hoping Dumaguete is what I'm looking for...

• Like Like x 2
  3. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Welcome aboard. I do not play social Sports (did not even know there was a Golf Course here let alone a Tennis Court!) but I am sure there will be a few here who like to play Ball Sports of sorts. I hope you find what you are seeking. :smile:

• Like Like x 2