Best Posts in Thread: Driving Lessons in Dumaguete

1. OzeMike

OzeMike DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +621 / 46
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Word of warning with these solo driving instructors they require payment in advance for 10hrs lessons then often accept too many clients. They will do half the total hours paid for if your lucky then give excuses after excuses why they can't turn up to complete the lessons - and will not refund the unused portion of the payment. Best to use GlobalLinks driving school.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. culumbinus

culumbinus DI Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 20
    Adapt and learn.... such precious words of wisdom here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. barryrio

barryrio DI Member

Ratings:
    +328 / 26
    I also had a very positive experience with Globalink. My other half learned with them and her instructor was extremely competent. They have both a manual Sportage and an automatic Wigo. They are not the cheapest but you usually get what you pay for!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    There are two kinds of rules of the road in the Philippines: the legal ones and what everyone else does. The legal rules only come into play when an accident occurs from everyone doing what they want. It does help to learn what the law says as the laws are quite different than Western laws.

R.A. 4136
    Read it all, there are some interesting differences in there.

Driving in the Philippines/Asia/3rd world countries is not pure chaos as people commonly think, there is a method to the madness. Nobody can teach you this method, it is something you have to learn as you go. To learn you must first forget all common driving courtesy rules you learned in the West. You can complain it isn't as organized/safe as in the West until you are blue in the face. They don't give a sh*t what you think about it and are NOT going to change for you. It is on you to learn and adapt. You will remove a lot of stress in your life if you learn their ways of driving.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Paying up front in the Philippines usually results in this behavior.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    Any way also the Philipines has signed the Vienna convention (8 November, 1968) on road traffic, while ratification was done on 27 December 1973, no matter how locals do interpret them unless local traffic laws do overrule the convention, the convention is the one that tells how are the rules.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Questions about prices have been answered by others, but my wife took driving lessons with Global Link a year ago and was very satisfied (I would give you the name of her instructor but she is asleep at present). Under my advice she took a week's course in a manual and I was amazed what she could do at the end of the week - which was to drive confidently in peak time traffic within the city. But when we looked for a car, we were always advised to use an automatic if doing much city driving and so she did a short conversion course in their automatic (they do have both). You are thinking of your wife doing a course in an automatic and I would agree with you.

Other driving schools or private instructors may be cheaper, so best to shop around. If the instructor is competent then a lower price is mostly irrelevant (in that low cost usually means low standards, but I think not so in this case).

Best of luck for your wife's adventure.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. DiverTim

DiverTim DI Member

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +125 / 11
    Safe driving in Philippines...NO WAY.....personally I think you need to have learnt outside Philippines. There is only one standard here down right DANGEROUS.

• Agree Agree x 2