Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Fishing near Dumaguete

1. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I was in Santa Catalina fishing Dorado yesterday. Get one, lost one and lot of activity, high season to caught dorado just now. If anyone wants to go there, I have a number for a boatsman, his name is Joven 09355721173 best if your gf/wife or another person who speak Visayas call for you. it's small banka no high society haha. You can be 2 persons in a banka and if you are more, neighbors have boats too. I go with one of the neighbors today, he brings his 20 years old son, I'm sure he did that because he talks very well English.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,744 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I've caught tilapia on lures and earthworms at Twin Lakes and striped snakehead and catfish in some ponds in Mabinay (don't remember the name of the place off the top of my head). I haven't tried any river fishing as most I've seen look a bit shallow. There is a river close to the village my wife came from that is supposed to be fairly deep where locals catch some fish, just haven't made the hike to try it yet.

Shawn

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Liverpool fan

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    If you are interested in fishing in the local water, the link Dave_Hounddriver is pretty good info. I been in Santa Catalina a few times and been out with Joven name of boatsman there. He is a nice guy and has the knowledge to help you, size of hooks, what kind of leader to use like that. I have small banka, bought it from Mike Alano the fishing guide mentioned of Davy200, when he had limited time for fishing, hard working guy. I get a lot of help and advise from him, but we need all get our own experience on the water.
    I don't come out that much with my boat, but enjoy when it happen, landscape much more beautiful from seaside. In another thred on this site, I offered someone going fishing with me, I live in Bacong, go Daro to pick up, no one there, get a text after few hours, arhh forget our appointment lol, I feel stupid. I meet the people, like them and we make appointment, after that I think no more. I like go out alone and are not afraid tell friends, today I want go out alone, clear my mind, but sometimes nice with a fishing buddy and someone to share the experiences with. Sometimes you meet turtles and dolphins, I always feel it's fantastic to watch life at sea. Look at Mike Alanos Youtube channel, it's great and a lot of info. I have fishfinder (great help) with GPS and rodholders like that, designed for fishing with rod and reel. It's cheap to built or buy a banka and great pleasure. If you are interested in fishing with me or go to Santa Catalina together I'm openmined, have a car, there is around 75 km from Dumaguete. I can also help you contact boatsman, I'm retired and enjoy life, Mike Alano is very helpful but busy built a new shop in Dumaguete and other things, I try, even it's hard lol, not to disturb him too much. I get info from him 2 days ago about fishing snakehead in Mabinay, will go there soon. Of course, I will share info with you, just ask here or send PM, cheers

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Kim R. Kollman

Kim R. Kollman DI New Member Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +3 / 1
    ''

Greetings

Am a 61 year old Yank living in Bacong who has 8 rods/reels of various size and approx. 400 pounds of jigs. Have no problem using live/cut bait or trolling feathers.

Am opening a new shop in Robinsons Mall Dumaguete, but am NEVER too busy to go fishing!

Was a full time salt water fishing guide in Florida for 10 years chasing primarily grouper, tuna, marlin, etc. Fished most of the major tournaments in Mexico/Bahamas/Texas/Florida as well.

Am a licensed USCG Master/Captain, A Dive Master, and a Paramedic who has 13 years actual (very heavy) USCG surf and helicopter rescues. Am quite comfortable off shore and a patient teacher to those who want to learn.

Looking for fishing buddies with boats or access to boats. Prefer non-banca type, but am a realist and realize that here in the Phils., one must take what one can get in the way of water craft.

Probably best to e-mail or call as I'm uncertain if I could ever figure out this *&(*!#%&-ing computer thing more than twice a year.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2019
  5. Liverpool fan

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm always open mined to meet new people and share our interest in fishing with rod and reel. It can be hard to gain any info about fishing in the Philippines. there are some interest groups on Facebook. Silver Jack Anglers Club, Dumaguete Fishing Adiks, Jigging Enthusiast and Filipino Anglers to name a few. It's a huge topic but like you, catch some Lapu Lapu can't get my p*ss boiling. I try to catch tuna, dorado, barracuda, snapper, marlin if lucky haha. You need a boat, I have a small banka and sometimes pay a fisherman to bring me out, not cheap they know you can afford it lol. I gain some contacts and have no problem with giving them on to you, but some of them I have not been out with yet. Siaton, Santa Catalina, Sipalay is places where I can go out with local fishermen. Just now wind direction is bad and most days waves are too big for my small boat, 15 feet, but from Feb until June is high season. I'm not sure you can send a pm as a new member but I will send you a pm and see if we can get connected in one way or another. I have a friend who lives in Moalboal area, visit there from time to time, he is also interested in fishing, but he is still working so limit time for fishing, but he's a professional and has a boat too

• Like Like x 3
  6. Liverpool fan

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I just check the phone number to Joven, that is the number he has given me. It's not the first time he changes the phone number, I will get info if the number still is in use. I try also call him where there is no connection, best call or text around dinner time. I will let you know if phone number still is in use

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Mike is not active anymore on the fishing side of things as he busy with his business.
    There is a guy in sta catalina who may take you out fishingbfor dorado which is fun,its just coming into season now also. He used charge p2000 day and he will catch the live bait.
    Jovan 0936 4765753 you will need let local speak with him about booking as no english much.

• Informative Informative x 3
  8. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    This was back in 2012.

• Like Like x 1
    • Genius Genius x 1
  9. DavyL200

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    You need some snakehead lures like little plastic frogs. I tried fly fishing for them but no luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Liverpool fan

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    As Davyl say, Highland In resort before Mabinay is a nice place to catch snakeheads. The only downside is the mosquito and resort is, sorry to say not maintained, so if I want to stay overnight in Mabinay best find another place. Mabinay Spring is nice, you can google it. I like river fishing to but don't find any river here with water or fish, I know there are some but not worth the effort to find those "rivers". You can hire a local fisherman to go out with you, but it helps if you have a fishfinder and an idea what area you want to go fishing. Few hundreds meter from coastline you can go trolling all the coast up and down north and south Dumaguete. Jigging is the way to catch the big fish, but also live bait and trolling Rapala wobbler is good

• Informative Informative x 2