Dumaguete Info Search

Food & Grocery Best Posts in Thread: Robinson's Grocery Store has Anti - Foreigner Day

1. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    As I do. And I would NEVER treat a guest in my house or in my country the way I was treated on "rant day".

Perhaps some people treat their guests poorly? Such people are unlikely to get many guests.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    Have we ever stopped and thought that they know what they mean and it is Us that sometimes does not understand:smile:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Interesting. Sort of like “every now and then”. For many Americans, that phrase means “once in a while.” My Filipino brother in law explained that in the Philippines it means “every now and every then” or “always”.

Used to cause misunderstandings with pen pals when the lady wrote the American that she thinks about him “every now and then”. There are other examples of this but we should all be aware of this possibility, as with the baskets only, that,
    maybe there is some language difference that explains why people are acting a certain way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Dave_Hounddriver

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Yes, there are days, and yes, this is a bit of a rant.

I was in Robinson's Mall, Dumaguete and I wanted to buy a couple thousand pesos worth of groceries. I do it frequently, as many here do, and usually have great customer service. Today was an exception. Today seemed to be "We Hate Foreigners Day"

Now it is Friday the 13th, today, so there may be something to the superstition that things go wrong on that day. The first "Hmmmm" moment was when I asked the stock clerk to grind up a bag of coffee beans for me. I do that once every couple of weeks and the reply is always "Yes sir". Today the clerk spoke in Bisaya to my gf and told her to go through the line up and pay first before he could grind it. He did not say that in English to me, you understand, he ignored me and told my gf. I ignored him and went to a nearby security guard and asked: "Can you please authorize this man to grind the coffee so I do not have to stand in the the check out line two times?" He told the lad to do it. The lad was not happy but he did it after having a few words in his own language with the security guard. I thanked the lad for doing it, even though he did so grudgingly.

After picking up a few more items I went to the checkout counter. I tried the Senior's line but the clerk said: "No; For senior citizens!" and pointed to the sign. I am tired of explaining that I am a senior so I went to the next line. I was about to turn around because that lane said "basket lane" and I had a cart with only a few items, BUT a filipina cut in front of me with a cart that held the same amount of groceries as I had and the clerk served her. So I got in line behind her and the clerk pointed to the sign and said (to my gf in Bisaya) "for basket lane only".

Well I lost it then. I grabbed an empty basket from nearby and transferred all my groceries from the "cart" to the "basket" and set it on the counter (with a few swear words under my breath). I said "THERE! BASKET!" in one of those loud foreigner voices and then told my gf: "It almost seems like they don't want foreigner's money here."

End of rant. I got my groceries, I paid my bill, and I left. I was tempted to go ask for the manager and ask why there is such an anti-foreigner sentiment today but I thought it would be useless so I came home and posted a rant on DI. Have a good day, all!.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  5. redhorse

redhorse DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +269 / 62
    And along those lines, the word "literally" itself is one of the words most misused by fluent English speakers. Technically, the definition is "In a literal manner or sense; exactly." In other words, the exact opposite of "figuratively".
    But it's used in the exact opposite way so frequently e.g. "He literally exploded with rage", "Those sale items are literally flying off the shelves" that an alternate or "informal" definition is now often included in dictionaries:
    literally | Definition of literally in English by Oxford Dictionaries

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Agreed: In these times, considering the political situation and the new found nationalism of the people, silence, low profile and near invisibility during potentially confrontation situations is often best. Besides, many of us have Filipina gf’s and asawas who can and will intervene when needed (thank the Lord!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    I have one, Then asks me why I let her do it? :bucktooth: but we should all know it is better to :nailbiting: keep silent

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jack Peterson

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,210 / 1,086
    "Sometimes" I just sits and Thinks sometimes I just sit.jpg sometimes I just Sit, then "every now and then" I get an Idea :whistling:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Makes sense to me. "Only" has a different meaning in the Philippines. Baskets are "only" supposed to use the line that says baskets only....not any other line.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dave_Hounddriver

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Please correct me if this is wrong but I think these pics describe it?
    PNB.jpg PNB is circled on left. On this Pic > is how to park n walk Park.jpg
    I believe you can click the pics to make them larger.

• Like Like x 2