Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Pldt fiber available in bacong

1. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    PLDT's fibre box is actually fairly powerful and a lot of options. However PLDT set a lot of strict limitations to it including its signal abilities because they fear it will hurt their sales such as multiple houses sharing one fibre connection or allowing many pc direct connections which are more often used by bandwidth hogs. So many of the things I found out where utter nonsense and I couldn't even come to some half arsed idea on why.

Few things.
    1. Their modem has 4 ports but 3 are deactivated and can't be turned on by user access.
    2. They give you *admin* access as its called to the modem but its not true admin access and the modem's real UI is locked from you which gives you the real power.
    3. You can't find a password for their modem as they write passwords for full admin access good only for 72 hours before expire and they make them on a case basis out of Manila.
    4. The modem has 4 antenna's and is capable of using a deep spectrum thingy (no idea what its called) with them which would get better signal through walls but that is hardcoded disabled.
    5. They have settings under pldt admin that block a wired pc to communicate to a wireless device such as my chromecast. I had to spend a lot of time with techs on on the phone until I was able to get them to give me full admin access for 72 hours.
    6. Certain settings as well make it hard if not impossible to plug in another router to their modem to boost a better signal. Can fix it in settings for the tech savy but unsure if this was one of the higher admin privileges locked.

Still my PC is wired and I pull a strong 20Mbps and can download things super fast compared to before and I don't get throttled. So its well enough for now.

• Informative Informative x 5
  2. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Also might check to see if the new router is dual band and set to 5 mhz which is faster but will not penetrate floors as well as 2.4 mhz... if so then have them set it to 2.4 like I suspect the Globe router is...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Well it only too 7 yrs to get decent internet with no limits here in bacong. A bit limited as of now as only 8 plugs per box. And at last i got rid of those retards globe lol.
    Screenshot_20180605-201103.png

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    I had a similar prob with the concrete and steel floors,bought a cheap cdr king router and plugged it into the pldt router as the installer said only one port can be used on their router.
    Then plugged in two other routers for the floor below. Tried wifi extenders and were not good.

5. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Well WIFI notwithstanding how is your speed near the router... sounds like the router that PLDT supplied you with is not as powerful (odd?) so you might have them relocate your router to the 2nd floor so the signal does not have to penetrate 2 floors.
    not sure about your extender but it also depends on the signal strength of the wifi and relocating the modem near a window on the side of the house that is close to the extender may also help... walk around with your phone wifi and check your signal strength to find the best place for the new modem and then have them come out and relocate (they will prob charge a fee) ... that is if the speed increase of PLDT is worth the trouble

6. ChMacQueen

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Good enough for online gaming other then shooters unless your connecting to a Philippines server. I've been online gaming for years with 200-350ms but when it reaches 400+ other online games start to struggle bad. I play MMORPG's except their hasn't been any good ones in years so I hop around a lot.

As far as downloading torrents it may be throttled a bit but not by much. I can still download a well seeded 2 hour movie torrent at 1.8Gigs in about 20 minutes. I do have a VPN but rarely every use it for downloading as the Philippines just doesn't care enough to do anything.

• Like Like x 2
  7. ChMacQueen

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    [​IMG]

That is what I got. I'm on the 1899p 20Mbps plan. Comes up 20.6Mbps down, 10.8Mbps up, and 193ms to Los Angeles. During peak time its still rocking hard. I'm in Bagacay near Hypermart.

If your over 500M they say they can't accomadate you and remember that is as the power line flows.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1