Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Dumaguete City to get CCTVs before years end

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    I agree with you on this one.

The Dutch town of Drachten has removed most of its traffic lights (perhaps a citizen from the Netherlands may update if all have now been removed).

But with a population of about 50,000, it is smaller than Dumaguete. However it saw a reduction in fatal accidents from one death per three years to none in a seven year period after most traffic lights had been removed.

I am amazed how skilful drivers of all types of vehicles and also pedestrians are locally in avoiding collisions and I think traffic lights can make people concentrate less and take more risks (jumping the lights, for example).

Where traffic lights hold up traffic when a clear way exists then they also contribute to waste of fuel and extra pollution.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. OzeMike

OzeMike DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +621 / 46
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I hope traffic lights don't come to Dumaguete as the present give and take of drivers here works really well if you are not a timid driver! Having lived in Cebu City for many years the traffic lights take forever to change to green and it is not unusual to take up to 3 changes of lights to get through them at rush hour.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Traffic Lights.... what a great *improvement* for Dumaguete, lol. Now I'm all for traffic lights in some areas after some traffic issues are changed or else the lights will just be completely laughable but the thing is those issues will never actually be fixed. For instance one problem is that downtown there are a lot of streets just 100m or whatever from each other and a light at each would be horrendous but not putting a light when at the ends there is a light would also be horrendous. Further allowing the street walker traffic and parking on the street traffic to continue as it has been is another issue that would make traffic lights a problem. Pedestrian traffic needs to be routed to more proper crossing spots and done in a more organized way which is NOT staggering people a few people apart so a 10 second walk takes 30 seconds because they walk slow (on phones) and stagger themselves. At the market there should be a heightened crosswalk and the market area but then need fencing to stop people from just crossing on the street and a fencing system that allows motorcycle parking to some extent as well. Another would be banning pedicabs from picking up and dropping off of the main downtown through streets requiring a side street drop off or pickup which may mean whomever has to walk 50 meters.

In the end we just see Dumaguete is horribly designed to ever be a modern city nor will the people or politicians enact real changes to make Dumaguete a modern city.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    But what would Cebu City be like without the traffic lights? I think it would be complete gridlock with that many cars (and ignorant/selfish drivers) on the road. There is no good solution to traffic when human drivers are a factor. We are selfish, ignorant and easily distracted animals. The only fixes for that is for cars to drive themselves and do so with complicated software and sensors governing their driving habits or severely restrict the numbers of people allowed to drive their own cars. Until that happens traffic jams will just be part of life. Or you can just by a motorcycle to split lanes and use the motorcycle lane (sidewalk). :wink:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. NYC

NYC DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Retired Airline pilot
    Ratings:
    +576 / 154
    Blood Type:
    A-
    In the case of a motorcycle, here the lights are likely to not be on, either. Literally and figuratively.

You were kind to hide the bike. I would have moved it into the traffic lane and let it block so I could back out. Then leave it there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    I remember a few years back i parked the truck in a space at matio,was only in there about 20 mins,came out and a bike had parked across the back of the truck.
    Easy answer to this was walk the bike down to the next junction and around the corner,i hope it took some time for him to find it. As they say in the uk the lights are on but nobody is home.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    Don't worry about that. Plenty of it will go towards improving houses, boats, cars, clothes, etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Personal experience? :wink:

I've also been here 9 years and some longer and have never seen a traffic light here. When I first came here traffic wasn't so bad at all and just downtown during a 1 hour rush to/from work or at the market area because of people constantly crossing the streets.

• Like Like x 2
  9. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Some stop signs or yield signs at the junctions, when a driver comes out of a minor road and goes straight across the main road without even looking.
    At least it should cover the insurance issues If the driver has insurance.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    Wondering, when ever traffic lights will be operational how they enforce. More than enough drivers to ignore red light?!

• Like Like x 2