Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Another forum is currently unavailable

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,796
    Blood Type:
    O+
    No forum or server update takes nearly a week to complete. Updates tend to be on the scale of minutes to hours, not days to weeks. Changing the theme/layout of the forum could take awhile...but typically these changes would be made to a private theme behind the scenes while keeping the old theme/layout up and running, then once completed you make the new theme public and default. Even a complete restructuring/archiving of the sub-forums or forum software change could be done in minutes/hours if properly thought out.

It is really bad practice to have your forum down for such a length of time and this will be avoided by owners/admins whenever possible. Seems there is a bit more to it than just "updates"...but that's just speculation on my part.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I'm a member of different facebook groups to, the difference as I see it on a forum and FB groups is, you will get banned from forums if you post stupid comments like some people do in FB, seen some get banned 12 hours lol. I'm far from holy but the language in FB, where cunts are the most common word and content of the written, makes no sense. It's voluntary be a member of forums and FB sites and I delete my membership when I see it's only a bunch of cunts, LOL, who has no life other than on the internet. I gain a lot of good info from this site and Living in Cebu forums together with good intertainment, it's our own choice what FB sites and forums we want to join

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. notfred

notfred DI New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 4
    there is absolutely no reason to post this kind of conjecture. the site is undergoing updates and that's that. the owner's profile certainly is not "monsoon" and he is not part of the staff. just because someone posts crap on a website doesn't mean it's true. the site also does not have any more problems with trolls or attacks than any other forum. just like this Dumaguete forum...LINC is made up of people living in, visiting or having family or friends from the Philippines.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    The forum is online again

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. cccmmm

cccmmm DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    I thought the owner is known (and is publicly available), at least I thought so... but maybe some people did not get the memo. I do not want to publish names (as it should have come through the owners "memo"), but his profile is monsoon or now is member#1... so with this information, you should be able to get in touch with him. The facebook pages are still under the old owner (living in Cambodia), so not much use to go through there..

• Informative Informative x 3
  6. Outcast

Outcast DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +335 / 128
    how about, for instance, a troll who creastes a website based on derogaotory lies about numerous forum members, and causes irreparable damage to reputations of good people. shuld he be allowed back in?

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. Dutchie

Dutchie DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,744 / 123
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I'm not familiar at all with the site, but the /whois information on the domain suggests that there is an ongoing argument/dispute between owner and others (daily management?).
    View attachment upload_2022-12-5_14-4-21.png

• Like Like x 1
  8. Leyte

Leyte DI New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I was disappointed to see the LinC forum just unexpectedly shut down. The moderators and old time members seemed to always talk about the camaraderie. Too bad the shut down was so abrupt and without any notice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,796
    Blood Type:
    O+
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    Since this discussion is still ongoing, has anyone noticed that "forums", in general, have been losing ground to Facebook Groups? A huge percentage of the ex-members of "another forum" are contributing members to a certain Cebu foreigners Facebook group.

I understand the addiction of instant response from large numbers of members when posting to Facebook, but along with that comes a large number of instant experts and instant expats who have either never left the US or have no clue what they are talking about. So common sense suggests we have moderators who muffle the trolls on a forum such as this one. However, I must be wrong due to the sheer numbers posting on certain Facebook groups.

So what is the future of forums such as this one? Growth? Stagnation? or going the way of Another Forum?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1