Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Clamp down on motorbike helmets coming?

1. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    BTW: Yes! They do matter. FFS, use them!

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    No, there are going to be things that come out of blind spots and/or happen faster than human reaction times are capable of dealing with no matter if you have a helmet or not. Helmets (and to a lessor extent, other motorcycle safety gear) save far more lives than they have ever taken. It is an undeniable fact. You can try to justify not wearing gear all you like, but it doesn't change that fact.

Note: Again, I don't care if you wear gear or not. That's your choice. I just don't like false information about safety gear, that could influence others into riding less safe, being spread. Helmet and other safety gear WILL save your life. It might not be as comfortable or as "cool" to wear, but that doesn't make riding without safer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    ENFORCEMENT OF HELMET USE SHALL ONLY BE IN NATIONAL HIGHWAYS FOR NOW
    After a dialogue with top officials of the Land Transportation Office and the Provincial Highway Patrol Group and the city government led by Mayor Felipe Antonio Remollo, the two sides reached a consensus:
    1. Enforce the use of helmet in the major/national highways particularly in the boundaries of Dumaguete-Valencia, Dumaguete-Bacong, Dumaguete-Sibulan, north national highway and port area. No apprehension yet in city streets and barangay roads.
    2. Conduct massive information drive to provide ample time for motorists to buy helmets in accordance to the national law.
    3. The City Council will pass a resolution urging Congress (both House of Representatives and Senate) to abrogate Republic Act 10054 (RA 10054), known as the Motorcycle Helmet Act of 2009 and authorize city and municipal governments to pass its own ordinance that will reflect and be responsive to local setting with possible exemptions.
    4. Formulate a local ordinance that will provide lower penalties on non-use of helmets. Mayor Remollo personally favors lowering it from P 1, 500.00 per LTO rate to P 200.00 or P 300.00.
    5. No apprehension for Motorcabs-for-hire with more than three (3) passengers.
    6. No apprehension yet for drivers wearing shorts and slippers.
    Councilors Alan Gel Cordova, Lilani Ramon, Joe Kenneth Arbas, Agustin Miguel Perdices, Estanislao Alviola, Michael Bandal, Manuel Arbon and Board Member Nilo Sayson participated in the discussion to arrive at a consensus on how to implement the Motorcycle Helmet Act of 2009. Officials of LTO present are Regional Operations Officer Macario Getaruelas, LTO Dumaguete Chief Alberta Janine Lawas and HPG Team Leader Sr. Inspector Silvester Cenia. (Lupad Dumaguete)

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Genius Genius x 1
  4. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    They really need change this law that the checkpoint cant move and grab all those people just waiting. Im sure they must realise why they are just waiting! Or do they?

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Can't agree more. Have had Prudential insure me since I have been here through two new vehicles. Covered for everything. The cars had some accidents, both mine and the the Missus, always went to the insurance company and they take care of everything. Pay my deductible for any repairs, and have never ever paid one centavo to any other party involved, even though they demanded it and try to get repairs for every little dent and ding. Also, always made sure to photo the accident site and show the police what I wanted copied and sketched. Never a problem.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    That's good to know they don't penalize for that and makes sense because, from my own experience, regular old "pants" don't make a d*mn bit of difference if you go down on a motorcycle at anything above 20kph. The road/shoulder/rocks are going to rip through those like they weren't even there. You need kevlar/leather pants if you want to prevent the road from nom-noming through your meat sack.

I still question the interpretation of the law by individual officers (especially those that aren't the Highway Patrol). Personally, I don't agree with helmet/protective gear laws; if you don't care, neither do I...so long as I'm not paying your hospital bills.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Dave_Hounddriver

Dave_Hounddriver DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +2,502 / 1,061
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. DavyL200

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    A few years ago im sure i saw them in tops n bottoms. But reckon there are going to be alot trying to buy them now so it will be the usual answer. Sorry sor no more stocks.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Brian Oinks

Brian Oinks That's Mr. Pig to you Boy! :) Highly Rated Poster

Negros Oriental - Near to Zamboanguita ;)
    Ratings:
    +1,535 / 727
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I reckon if they started sitting along the Highway in key locations between Siaton and Dumaguete, they would raise enough for a Salary increase in the first week of operation! :biggrin: hehe

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Get proper insurance (not that bare minimum liability crap offered by the LTO) to protect yourself. Let the locals fight with local insurance companies. Never admit fault and never agree to pay anyone's hospital bills. Have a backup vehicle ready as any vehicle involved in an accident could be held by the police for a long time. You have to be willing to let the police impound the vehicle while the law/justice system runs its course.

Yeah, the quality of helmets in the Philippines is quite low. You have to look around, and spend money, for a decent one.

There was never a time for leaving a helmet unsecured in the Philippines. If you have been leaving them unsecured on your bike and haven't had one stolen you have been lucky. I have had several stolen, long before this helmet law implementation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1