Dumaguete Info Search

3D printed house

Discussion in 'Hobbies and special interests' started by DAVE1952, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Well, you learn something new every day - so the country is full of Coconut grass!

2. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    The expensive double pane windows do have Argon in the center between the two sheets of glass. This is an upgrade available at an extra cost. The Argon gas is a monatomic molecule. (Inert gas) As such it absorbs and transmits very little heat.
    It is amazing how well the wood cutters saw straight with a chain saw. People reading this should realize that a coco wood sawmill here is a guy with a chain saw. (Hence all of the complaining about chain saw noise in the morning.) On the other hand the product quality is not good enough for mass construction. It needs better grading for quality and factory type sawmills to maintain tolerances.

The main issue is that the methods of sawing coconut palms is optimized for trees that have heartwood. It optimizes the return from the center of the log which is the best part of a tree but worst part of the coconut palm. If a sawmill was developed to maximize the return from the circumference and processes were developed for quality grading then it would be great product.

You are correct about the dust verses shavings, Coconut palms have a high silica content. Sharp carbide tools are required and dust respirators should be worn for the dust.

3. OP
    OP
    DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,092 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    You know I do respect much of what you say but you are just so anal about everything, try and talk down to the common man/lessor man like myself and others here, I'm guessing you don't have many friends you are just so feckin anal about everything, as we say in Scotland, richt up yer ain erse

DAVE1952
    This message by DAVE1952 has been hidden. This message may be off-topic or have violated forum rules. (Show message)
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Off-Topic Off-Topic x 1
  4. Senjenbing

Senjenbing DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines Navy

Milliways - at the end of time and matter
    Ratings:
    +416 / 198
    I suggest the OP reads this:

https://www.gowercroft.co.uk/news/what-is-vacuum-glazing/

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Senjenbing

Senjenbing DI Forum Adept Veteran Marines Navy

Milliways - at the end of time and matter
    Ratings:
    +416 / 198
    For info:
    I fed the OP some inaccurate information some time ago to assess his credibility yet he never questioned the information supplied, just took it as gospel that "foreign builders" know nothing and their workmanship is not to be trusted.
    My wife and I have designed and built 5 houses and a complete resort, including swimming pool. All are engineered to UK standards in reinforced concrete frames floors beams and pillars. The CHB, where used, is only for walls and never load bearing and we never render below GL. All structures have at least 200mm air gap between the ground floor and ground level to aid cooling and prevent radon accumulation. All roof spaces are adequately vented, again to assist on cooling and all windows have reflective coating to reduce radiant heat. Only the resort uses aircon, as customers expect it. The oldest was built 13 years ago and all have stood the test of time and tremors without issue. We have used the same team to build all and, once they trust you and know what is expected (workmanship etc), they can be relied upon - because they know I will check.

IMHO the Op's motives and integrity are questionable when he quotes how bad everyone else is whilst blowing his own trumpet - needs the work, or too much time?

I think this proves my point - and the OP a very lonely person indeed (Scottish reject?)

6. Ozzyguy

Ozzyguy DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +364 / 182
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I brought my double glassed windows in China and had them shipped to Australia. Also about 1/2 of my house came from China, 4 container loads last build. Done it a few times and saved a truck load. Unsure if this would be a option in Pi to get good quality products direct from China.

Got no idea if my windows are vacuumed or Argon. Quality is a lot better than what we have locally in Australia and less than 50% of the cost.

179710129_512705266408730_7972215647554002117_n.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. jimeve

jimeve DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired.
    Ratings:
    +1,854 / 1,022
    Blood Type:
    A+
    what are they like for sound-proof? Getting very noisy where I am.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
  8. Ozzyguy

Ozzyguy DI Forum Adept

Retired
    Ratings:
    +364 / 182
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Not sure I live in a quite area......haha

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    DAVE1952

DAVE1952 DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,092 / 219
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    I wonder why you would give information here for all to read that was not correct? to try and catch me out? surely you are giving all and sundry that same false info, if that was your intention you would have sent me a PM, I firmly believe at the time you gave this info it was well intentioned and the methods you employ when building. You have now found out that I know a little about building here and don't agree with you methods and given reasons why not to do things your way.
    I never said that Foreign builders know nothing? what I did say is; that most Foreign builders know nothing.

As for looking for work there is nothing further from the truth, I have already stated here my intention to build a small affordable house for my wife and child to live in after I am gone and also admitted that I am sometimes wallowing in the dark with this build project, does that sound like someone looking for work?

Just for your info I replied to another member in a different thread, he was asking about good reputable builders here, I sent him a PM and mentioned Bernie and Darwin two Canadian builders here, I also suggested to him I could make up a questionnaire for him to use in an interview with his prospective builders and likely they would all fail, I have tried some of these questions on a few so called builders here and with the exception of the above two named persons all others failed, of course there are many I did not try, but from all the bad reports I get from others that have trusted builders here, I am assuming good builders are few and far between Foreign or Native, sometimes I have been known to stop and watch an ongoing build project, that is always good for a laugh.

10. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    My sister-in-law says the double pane windows she had installed (assuming they were proper double glazing) do reduce noise a fair bit. Match that with thick curtains and 'Bob's your Uncle'. To make it even better, if ever a person gets earwax then leave it in! :jimlad:

• Agree Agree x 1