Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: The intolerance of "charging" for charging laptop and smartphone in coffee shops in Dumaguete

1. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    As always it's a matter of supply and demand - if you don't want to pay for their electricity, you don't have to buy it, just charge your stuff at home. In case of emergency PHP 10 is still a small price to pay for the convenience vs. going back home... I also guess they don't really do that for earning money, but to prevent people from taking up a whole table for hours while sipping a single coffee for PHP 80 or so. If you're a small place with just a few tables, a few laptop workers that occupy all your seating space while not consuming much can quickly hurt your business.

I could be considered what you call "Digital Nomad" and as such, I do not rely on power outlets in coffee shops as a rule. I come with a charged notebook that lasts more hours than I care to work in a single day, and can even charge my phone from that if need be. Having that said I wouldn't be sad either if the local coffee shops finally would get some competition from Starbucks :wink: While their coffee is prohibitively expensive, I've yet to see one where they charge for electricity...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    There are ways around this. Setup the Wi-Fi to where customers get an access code on the receipt, access codes are good for one device for 30 minutes (or more if the purchase was larger). If you want more time you have to buy something else.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    That would result in an instant raise of prices and lowering of quality. Starbucks has some of the worst coffee and most ridiculous prices.

• Agree Agree x 7
  4. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    I am not sure I sit comfortably with this type of comment - it can be said in another way (e.g. "So maybe have a chat with her about this") without labelling a member's child. None of us has ever learned everything, even at age 100, certainly not at age 19. There is always room for a caring parent (as from reading here I am sure Mr P is) to help guide a developing adult.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Cletus

Cletus DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +357 / 107
    The coffee shops or any other business should be allowed to conduct their business as they see fit! It is private property. Public property being streets, sidewalks, parks etc which are owned and maintained by gov.
    It is private property and open to the public. If you don’t like the way they do business then don’t go there, vote with your feet. For you to make a derogatory post about this establishment is just wrong IMO.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Liverpool fan

Liverpool fan DI Senior Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,094 / 279
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Sorry, I don't understand it can be a problem to pay for charging, but if I'm denied charging I see it as unfriendly customer service. I try that as a regular customer in a coffee shop in BQ mall in Tagbilaran groundfloor, I never went back, the idiot went bankrupt soon after, that was probably not because of me lol. I agree in the proposal for 1 hour working on a laptop, these people don't benefit to a business and either to the atmosphere/good vibes in a place. People who work online know exactly where to go and who allowed them to stay all day with a water or coffee, MacDonalds is one place. When I'm traveling I always bring a power bank same size as a cellphone

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Consider the profit margin many of these coffee shops and small places work on is very small even some of the big names because of franchise costs and cuts where volume is the key. Having someone come in and charge their laptop for an hour could consume the profit margin of that cheaper cup of coffee they bought. Not only that but they are consuming *free* wifi the business pays for.

The bigger thing though in my mind which I've seen many times is these people sitting charging their laptops and using the free wifi who sit in their all day long while only ever ordering one drink. I've left many establishments because there was NO seating because of these people who you can tell have been there for hours which means they lost my business which is likely larger to cater to someone who gives barely any business and even less profit if not actually costing them. One place that often comes to mind is Rolling Pin where I like to grab a pannini sometimes but often find all the seating taken up by college kids on laptops all day long but I've seen it Bo's Coffee as well among other places.

The one hope the business has is that the laptop battery will die and they will then free up the table. But if they got free charging they would never leave so charge for that to discourage the freeloaders.

I remember as well when I had my mini resto in Bacong a few years back offering free wifi. I found out quickly I had to change the password daily sometimes multiple times a day because someone would come in and buy a soda and get the wifi password and an hour later there were 3-4 sitting across the street where the signal still reached loading off my wifi.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Yeah. Let's just hope that local businesses don't go the route that Starbucks goes. Most Starbucks let people loiter as long as they want (without having to pay for anything)...and punish the paying customers with ridiculously high prices.

I think people should be allowed no more than one hour in a coffee shop/fast food restaurant without ordering something. If you loiter you are an inconsiderate a-hole and the business will be better off without your "business". Nothing I hate more than walking into a coffee shop/fast food restaurant and seeing a bunch of moochers taking up all the seats without anything in front of them. They lose my business if they can't keep those turds out. So yeah, while I don't agree a business loses money on letting people charge their phones...I sure as sh*t love seeing them charge people ridiculous rates to charge their phones/laptops. :wink:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,209 / 1,086
    Maybe that is so for you BUT there are many that will sit all day and only ever buy 1 or 2 coffees :sorry: Just to Add I have a 19 year old daughter that does it often with Friends

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    So companies should be free to do what they want but people should not be allowed to voice their displeasure with their business practices so that others can determine if they want to visit that establishment?

• Agree Agree x 3