Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Very new to Dumaguete

1. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Hope you find a place where you are happy. Sacrifices definately have to be made living here. If one can rise above that and live out of town it can be comfortable for some of us.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Happy Camper

Happy Camper DI Senior Member Restricted Account Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,395 / 180
    Blood Type:
    O+

I understand your feelings, but there are other places that are much worse.

I was in Bacolod for 8 years and it went down hill fast. If you like gold maybe that is for you since that is about all it has to offer.

I felt about Bacolod as you feel about Dumaguete. I moved here. Went to a cardiologist for a regular check up and he prescribed a new blood pressure medicine because my old one was to strong. It was the climate and stress from Bacolod to Dumaguete.

It is all up to the individual as to what is acceptable. I enjoy walking all over town, don't need to drive, although I do own a car for trips back to Bacolod for the wife's family visits.

You want trash and filth, try walking around San Francisco or New York City. I am sure there are places you describe all over the world. No one is exempt from not taking care of where they live.

I sincerely hope you find a place you enjoy and can say it is better than the place you left like I do. I love it here and accept the little problems and hope they don't enlarge.

When I was in the military for my 25 years there was always a saying. There were only two good assignments. The one you were moving to, and the one you just left. There is something good about everything if yu take the time to see it and quit complaining.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    You are obviously having a bad experience living in a bad location. I've been living in Dgt for a year and a half and would definitely not agree that the whole place is an unhealthy heap of trash. I am just outside the city and have a great view surrounded by beautiful nature and nice neighbors and wonderful healthy air. I can be in the center of Dgt in 15 minutes, and go in almost every day - sure it has it's challenges like traffic and parking and lack of availability of things I would like to be able to get - but, bottom line, I have no regrets about living here because I have managed to find a nice place. I hope you find a place you enjoy.

• Like Like x 8
  4. Stefan_Negros

Stefan_Negros DI Member

Ratings:
    +428 / 12
    Certainly you have some points and I am not hesitating to give them to you.
    Many things need to improve in Duma. Traffic and trash solutions need to be found. I guess nobody can have seriously a different opinion about that.

Me personally don’t know a better place in Philippines than southern Negros. I know better countries, but my wife is from here, so no option to move ahead.

By the way, I am not exactly convinced that Rome and Florence are more clean compared to Duma. Pollution in Rome is exorbitant and Florence has, like almost all cities in Italy, an enormous trash problem.
    Would be nice if you could post your observations after arrival.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. TheDude

TheDude DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster

Ratings:
    +1,465 / 822
    I like your honesty. After viewing your site (good job!) I have no doubt your will back up your words with actions.

However, I'm sure people will figure out if Dumaguete is for them on their own. They'll see the trash and the other problems. They'll likely travel to other places and make their own comparisons. No need to bash the place in a thread where people are asking for information. Better to simply answer the questions. Otherwise we might as well copy and paste your reply automatically to everyone with a "New Here" thread. We can at least represent Dumaguete in the best light and let new arrivals make their own decisions from there. And it's not like we're all making a sales job on how clean and beautiful Dumaguete is. Go ahead and call BS where you see it, but we're pretty good here about keeping it real. :wink:

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. tel522

tel522 DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 1
    I live in bali ,which is like many other developing countries ,with all the usual problems ,corruption ,rubbish ,bad roads etc etc , the trick in my view , is to live in the beautiful areas ,quiet good nature ,good air .
    Im sure from reading your forums the Philippines is very much the same as here .
    Ya you have to search around for the right area to live in ,then you will find peace .
    Some people will never be happy in these types of countries .

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    When you eat trash your health will also be trash. Be smarter about what you eat and drink and when/where you go outside. Don't eat fast food regularly (this should be common sense anywhere you are in the world). Don't drink well or tap water, drink purified/bottled water. If you have a weak immune system or medical/lung problems the pollution during the day is going to mess you up. Don't live in the city or drive around during rush hour if you have these issues. Staying/eating/living healthy in developing countries takes significantly more effort than it does in the West, you are just going to have to accept that.

Continuing to do things that are counter to your personal health needs is not all that smart. We don't all face the same issues you do. You either have some personal health issues that need to be addressed or we are doing something different than you. Sitting around complaining about these problem ad nauseam while not asking how others avoid it can get a bit tiresome and does nothing to improve your life (or others who have similar issues but don't like to post).

It seems that Western sanitary standards are a requirement in your life. You simply aren't going to find it in developing countries. It may be best if you look for a Western country to travel/live. I hear Romania is a nice compromise between Western sanitary/infrastructure standards and affordable living costs. Have you been there yet?

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,591 / 2,888
    It is not people being "blind" - it is a person's opinion based on their own individual circumstances and how they interpret it. So if they eat at good restaurants, or cook good food at home, and drink bottled water then they might not become as sick as you and so view Dumaguete in a different way - perhaps thinking about it while on the loo is not the best perspective!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. RR_biker

RR_biker DI Senior Member Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +746 / 109
    KFC and Shakey's and the likes I will never call them restaurants for me a place where they sell junk food. There are some nice restaurants in Dumaguete, depending on your likes, never ever been sick having food in these places for many years. Drinking water from a well is @your own risk of course. A gallon with drinking water, delivered @home is around 30 peso or a bit more and chances you will get sick of are almost zero.
    Agree that the air in the city does not meet enviremont standards when old buses, trucks, leaving a black smoke through their exhaust due the lack of a yearly smoke test which is required for motor bikes and cars.
    All in all it is a matter of ++++ against - - - - to see if the balance is still on the right side to decide stay or leave.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Outcast

Outcast DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +335 / 128
    welcome,

there are many good places and good peopel around, but there are also bad places and negative people. don;t let the negative get you down, if you look for it, it is there to be found. as well is the positive, my neignborhood is clean and quiet with fresh air, trees, birds, and smiling people. there was even a monkey living in the trees behind me a few years back. I go to Dumaguete about once a week, and getting less and less every year, due to traffic, pollution, etc. there is no way I could live in town, lest I become one of the negative that cannot find my way out of the garbage heap. there is, however, still nice areas just outside the downtown area, if you spend the time to look for them. Don;t settle for second best, keep looking until you find someplace that suits you, and don;t let the negative people get you down. a person can have a great life here, but it is what you make it.

• Like Like x 5