Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: How has Dumaguete changed in the last 10-20 years?

1. LENNY

LENNY DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +166 / 17
    Been here 8 years now...Only thing I have seen lately is the traffic has been very heavy at times especially around 4-5-6-pm But other wise I am happy here and the people are still very friendly and nice...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. ChMacQueen

ChMacQueen DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +1,386 / 173
    Traffic has become an utter nightmare first off and unlikely they will ever do anything proper to make it better. Next issue is the massive influx of people to Dumaguete some of it foreign but also a LOT from other places have moved here in the last 8 years since I first came. So many from all around Negros Oriental have moved here for work and business. Beyond that the city hasn't grown as far as business class very much in some aspects things are even worse off then 8 years ago. Dumaguete is a big enough city that it really should have a proper mall like an SM City yet we're stuck with a sh*tty fake mall called Robinson's that is a utter joke. More bland boring restaurants have popped up while quite a few good ones have gone under for one reason or another.

As far as people go now I'd say Dumaguete isn't anywhere as friendly as it was when I first moved here to fellow locals or foreigners and I take that as a sort of protectionism feeling that some don't think others belong even if they are also Filipino. As far as the foreigner end while their have always been some really bad foreigners now with Dumaguete having so many more and being a college town even more come here to just screw around with all the young college girls or younger and as they can blend in better in a bigger population of foreigners and locals.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I've noticed the opposite; their tolerance of foreigners seems to be going down (though their love of our money is going up).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Property/rentals increasing annually. Beach property very much so, but that is probably the same worldwide.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,588 / 2,888
    Was 'bootlegger' saying the same thing ("it has changed not for the better in some respects, as have the locals' & expats' attitudes toward each other.")? Was he saying "not for the better" in respect of local/expat attitudes?

Is this the worldwide trend of nationalism, so regularly covered by the media that it has entered the subconscious of ordinary citizens?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    That seems to be the rule these days. My question to you would be whether that is due to the upward mobility of people living there or population influx?

Some data I have gathered. It looks like about a 60-70% population increase over the last 30 years. Is this just the typically family having 5-7 kids or an influx of people?

http://population.city/philippines/dumaguete/

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 1.10.44 PM.png

In looking for population I came across this site, which might be interested if you are looking for a City directory.

http://dumaguetecity.gov.ph/

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 1.14.44 PM.png

Another site with demographic information.

https://www.citypopulation.de/php/philippines-visayas-admin.php?adm2id=184610

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 1.17.28 PM.png

In general, it seems to be growing pretty consistently at 20k every 10 years or 2k per year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  7. cabb

cabb DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster ✤Forum Sponsor✤

Ratings:
    +1,106 / 241
    This quote below came from another thread that is about 10 years old. I'm interested in the opinions of the long term expats. I first visited Dumaguete 20 years ago and have been there 5 or 6 times since for a week or two at a time. It was the small city atmosphere that appealed to me. My wife has been there more recently, but last time I was there was 4 years ago and will be heading back this year. I'm curious what I can expect after being away for 4 years. Looking for both the good and the bad. Thanks!

• Informative Informative x 2