Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Why no Strip Clubs / Girly Bars Around DGT?

1. Glendazumba

Glendazumba DI Forum Adept

teaching
    Ratings:
    +729 / 36
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    There used to be one but it got closed during the mayoralty of Perdices. If there is any existing club like that now, I don't know where it is but Dumaguete City is known as a University town as well so I think those types of clubs are not in consonance with the place's overall vibe.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    might sound boring for some, but I prefer the homemade dishes, prepared by the hottest cook of all - doesn't taste anywhere better in the world than at home in the philippines :-)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Crystalhead

Crystalhead ADMIN Admin ★ Forum Moderator ★ ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ ★★ Forum Sponsor ★★ ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Army

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,991 / 1,090
    I am glad Duma does not abide by such an industry. As for (they will come) I submit, those are the (they's) that can stay exactly where they are, IMHO. Perhaps you should have made this into a pole (pun intended) I would down vote any such idea of such. The Con's far far out weigh the (Pro's) Cheers!

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I think enough has been said on the topic. This forum is not a "How to" guide for sexpats. Thread locked.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. danbandanna

danbandanna DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +1,482 / 300
    Blood Type:
    A+
    Well said, Education and a more robust economy that offers hope to those currently in poverty is the best solution to the drug problem... unfortunately for society this solution requires its leaders to actually give a d*mn ...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I don't agree. There are plenty of people from Dumaguete that partake in these vices/crimes. It isn't "outsiders" corrupting the city. It is just human nature.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with alcohol, drugs or prostitution as long as everyone is consenting adults. Do whatever you want to your body so long as you aren't hurting anyone else. I don't believe in government's holding their citizens hands in life. IMO, government exists to serve, not control.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Do drugs and alcohol fit into that vibe? There sure is a lot of that. Those activities generally go hand-in-hand with prostitution/brothels. Dumaguete is not standing on any moral high ground above other cities in the Philippines. It is there if you are motivated enough to find it. Having universities doesn't get rid of killers-for-hire, drugs, alcohol, prostitution, theft, robbery, violence, child/spouse abuse, rape, pedophiles etc etc. Dumaguete has it all, just like every other city in the Philippines. When you have tons of poverty and shanty towns these things are going to exist.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    You aren't looking hard enough. There are none that you can drive a car into the room garage for privacy that I know about (though there is at least one in Sibulan) but they certainly are plenty of short time hotels in the city (one very visible one right across the national highway from the market). They certainly are "up" for it, have the interest and aren't prudes.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    I sure hope not. I'm a "government is not the problem - the problem is ineffective excessively capitalistic government that institutionally increases inequality - Liberal", and hope my contingent is not just 10%.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Education is key to preventing abuse and addiction. If you know what drugs/alcohol do to your body when used at excessive levels you are less likely to heavily abuse them. If you don't know the pros and cons you can't weigh them and make an educated choice.

Of course it does. Offering free treatment for substance abuse/addiction is a much better option than prison IMO. (When in a Filipino prison the chances of you using something like Shabu increases greatly since it is very accessible. Guards in the prisons only make sure people don't get in or out, they do not run the inside of the prison. There is a ranking system within the prisons and the "mayor", a high ranking/well connected prisoner usually there for life, calls all the shots and makes sure everyone obeys the rules.) If you educate and treat people they can return to being productive members of society. Sending them to prison only further exposes them to the criminal lifestyle and helps to ensure that they cannot find legitimate work after they have been released.

I was always curious how people knew the intentions of someone who stole from them...especially when the person wasn't caught. It is only speculation that the goods stolen were pawned for buying drugs.

It is much more likely that they were abusing alcohol while committing the crime than using any illicit drugs. Alcohol is the only drug that makes humans more violent as well as lowers inhibitions. The stats below are from the US but I think they would also apply to pretty much any country that allows alcohol consumption:

Demonize illicit drugs all you like, the facts are that the most socially acceptable drug (alcohol) is by far the most harmful to the user and those around them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1