Dumaguete Info Search

Review Best Posts in Thread: Grumpy’s

1. fritz

fritz DI Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +95 / 5
    Blood Type:
    O-
    And Yesterday evening I was the first time there for the Saturday Night Jam Sessions, that means Musicians on a very high level from different countries ( Austria, Scotland U.S.of A.....) make in the best Jam Session Tradition very good NEW versions of music everybody knows, everybody likes!
    And even me, who doesnt like "Old Musik" or even Cover Band Music at all was very impressed about that good feeling what that musicians there produce!
    My absolute highlight yesterday was the version of that very old Spencer Davis Hit "I,m a man"- thought before that the Band Chicago made the very best version out of it, but since yesterday night I know: That was a mistake, cause the best version ever I heard yesterday night in GRUMPY's played from a very good Blues/RnR-Gitarrist, a very, very skillful Bassguitarist and a Saxophone Genius from the U.S,of A!
    Beside that I had before an extraordinary meal!
    Try it and you will forget other Restaurants with a "similar" offer!

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Pompolino

Pompolino DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +404 / 53
    First time I visited Grumpy's today - tried yesterday but it was closed. Note that the details in the Showcase section are wrong the place is NOT open on Mondays.

We were greeted by a young waitress who took our drink orders and then from whom I later learned was the "owner", Ralf - who was not grumpy at all but very friendly. He explained that the food will take some time as everything is prepared from scratch - even the potatoes cut after we make the order for french fries. He gave me a tour of the place including the kitchen which was absolutely spotless. I ordered the schnitzel my partner the beef curry. The schnitzel (& fries) was huge and the curry was a big size. Both of us found the food excellent. Both the waitress and Ralf checked if we were happy and did we need anything more . At the end when the bill arrived it was on par with what I pay in and around Dumaguete but the food was of a quality that I will certainly return and probably make it a regular.

I spoke to Ralf about his future plans and it sounds exciting - so certainly I will be keeping an eye out for those changes. He is awaiting his business permit at the moment and will seek to make the changes after he gets the permit and one of those changes will address the complaint above about noise - which really didn't worry us at lunch today. Music is also on the horizon and that is something I certainly will be looking forward to.

Ok, to find it coming from Dumaguete, it's after Gie-Gies Bar then just after Petron and exactly opposite the Nissan Dealership on the South Road. Coming from Bacong start looking to your left after going past Thunder Road - again exactly opposite the Nissan Dealership on the right.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
  3. Stefan_Negros

Stefan_Negros DI Member

Ratings:
    +428 / 12
    I am German, but not nessicarily a lover of german food.

Anyhow, Grumpy’s is the place to go if you love well prepared food and good service.

The menu contains some German dishes as well as international and Philippine cuisine. All freshly cooked with high quality ingredients. They even make their own bread.

I didn’t find a better restaurant in Duma yet in terms of quality and freshness of its products. You can have really nice breakfast, delicious lunch and wide offers of excellent dishes for dinner.

Only negative thing is the location. Very close to main road it’s quit noisy.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. PatO

PatO DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Veteran Marines

Ratings:
    +4,532 / 1,016
    Tried Grump’s for the first time. Extensive menu looked so good I had lunch and ordered a takeout for dinner, great service, fast and friendly, and the food very good. Bread, pasta, sauces, etc made daily.
    Now my favorite restautant on the south side.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
  5. Stefan_Negros

Stefan_Negros DI Member

Ratings:
    +428 / 12
    We were at Grumpy's last Friday for breakfast and Saturday night we went for dinner and listened to the life music.

Breakfast was phenomenal.
    I had a German style one and my asawa the philippino one. Both were freshly cooked with too quality ingredients. Absolutely delicious. Coffee and fresh made carrot juice very tasty.

Dinner on Saturday was again a very nice dining experience. I had a Goulash with Spätzle, asawa went for some pasta with fish. Goulash was made from tender loin, Spätzle freshly homemade.

All dishes are freshly cooked and homemade. Even bread and fries.
    Meat and fish are of high quality. Only pork and beef tenderloin get used.

It was great to have dinner and listen to the music. Every Saturday is open mic and some really good musicians from all over the world are performing. Great guitar players and drummers. It has nothing to do with karaoke. Ralf, owner of grumpies, is a very talented guitar player and singer too. We really enjoyed it.

Service at Grumpy's is excellent. Very friendly staff.

If you just want to go out for a coffee and done sweets or cakes it's the right place as well. Homemade cakes are very delicious. I recommend the cheese cake with strawberries. There are various nice deserts as well.

If you are looking for top quality food I can recommend Grumpy's absolutely. Actually I don't know a better restaurant in Duma if you go for western cuisine.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
  6. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    It's on the Bacong/Dauin boundary. It still has the old La Fiesta sign out front. New sign on order.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. Obliged Friend

Obliged Friend DI Forum Adept Veteran Army

Ratings:
    +288 / 77
    Blood Type:
    O-
    It’s a very nice diner..it’s good to get away from the boulevard. Lunch twice and takeout for dinner. Wife and daughter liked the fish. A bonus...the restrooms were sparkling clean.

Maybe it’s time...let the tourists have the boulevard.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Charlie

Charlie DI Senior Member Restricted Account Veteran Coast Guard

Ratings:
    +417 / 128
    We had lunch at Grump's today around 12:15 'ish. The lasagna was quite good and appeared freshly made, the bread was real nice. The asawa had schnitzel w/ mushroom gravy and boiled parsley potatoes. Plus Grumpy brought us an appetizer that was a nice treat. If you want a fast food place go to Mickey D's or wherever. Our food was well worth a small wait. A/C would be nice for lunch time in the glassed in area. Grumpy was not grumpy at all. He might be though if you were to kick him in the itlog area but I wouldn't recommend that. :bash:tiphat:

• Like Like x 3
  9. tuba-coma

tuba-coma DI Forum Adept Showcase Reviewer

sales
    Ratings:
    +678 / 160
    First time at Grumpy's and the dining experience was excellent. A mouth melting Cordon Bleu with fresh made mashed potatoes and a very good brown gravy, reminded me of the good old childhood days, best cooking tradition grandma style... wife hat Tom Yam shrimps and was very happy, also a gorgeous portion... Prices are slightly higher than other places, but worth every peso... you get what you pay for and here it's pure quality on a very high level... looking forward to come back to try more great food

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    They were serving pretty much the same menu with the same quality when he ran La Fiesta. I was very happy to hear that he moved his operation in the path of my usual travel when I came back last month. La Fiesta was just too far out of the way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2