Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Senorita's Mexican Grill now at Airport - real Mexican

1. Sedona

Sedona DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +673 / 102
    Went to Senorita's today for a late lunch. Had their super burrito, nachos, quesadilla, and tostitos. I have to say, everything was very good. When I first walked in I thought to myself that I hope the food is good here because I really liked the authentic feeling - it's like going to a little cantina in Tijuana. I wasn't disappointed. As usual I asked them to hold the sour cream on all the items. They brought a bowl of sour cream on the side, and I was surprised, it was actually sour cream and tasted good, I used it all. You do have to pay 20 pesos to get into the parking area, but I usually pay the parking guy 10 pesos anyway, and I was able to park under a tree in the shade right across the street, so it was worth it to not have to hassle about parking. Lots more items on the menu that I look forward to trying because I will be going back again.

• Informative Informative x 4
  2. furriner

furriner DI Forum Adept Restricted Account

Ratings:
    +348 / 70
    In the US you actually can find Mexican street food sold from cooking vans off the roadsides and flea markets in NC. Their clientele are not Americans but other Mexicans who work in construction and on the farms. One time I bought one of their wraps that looked sort of like what Americans call a burrito and it was full of chopped beef, cheese, chopped lettuce and spices and it was pretty good. But Rye is correct, even Mexican restaurants managed and owned by Mexicans are not real Mexican food any more than American Chinese restaurants serve real Chinese food. In fact, based on my small sampling I highly suspect Americans would prefer the American version of “Mexican” cuisine over the true Mexican foods. In the US, like the Chinese, most Mexican or Tex-Mexican restaurants obtain their foods from the same ethnic foods wholesalers which is why they all taste so similar (exception: Taco Bell...not worth discussing). More Americans would patronize those roadside stands if the liked the food but they don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. greko

greko DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 1
    Blood Type:
    A-
    You turn in the airport and go half way down and Senorita's Mexican Grill is on the right located where Finish Line bar used to be. Anyway just wanted to post that I had a Tostada for lunch that actually tasted like a Tostada!

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    I think this thread has ran it's course.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    What you find in the US is generally not "Mexican" food. It is Tex-Mex and will vary by region. I have ate Mexican food in Mexico and have not found anything even remotely similar in the US. Of course Mexican food is going to vary even among different regions in Mexico. I'm sure there is a region in Mexico that will be similar to what you find in the US.

If you don't like it then don't go back, but if you aren't even going to try it then keep your "opinions" about the food you haven't even tried to yourself.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. greko

greko DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 1
    Blood Type:
    A-
    You will be please to know.. the eye candy is still there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Pompolino

Pompolino DI Member Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +404 / 53
    Yes he has a food stall opposite the park, on the east side at the top end of the market. I am no great expert on Mexican food, as I come from Australia, but really enjoy the enchiladas from Los Mariachis which is on the South Road opposite Thunder Road

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. liannastar

liannastar DI Member

Ratings:
    +160 / 38
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I guess in the end, authentic or not, if it taste good, then it's good!
    All "authentic" tastes are not being bombarded with new "fusion" varieties, which IMO, in some cases tastes as good, or better than the authentic version. In then end, I guess it all boils down to, do you like it or not? :smile:

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Bruce

Bruce DI Member Infamous Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +172 / 10
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Not being an expert in any regarding mexican food I have just one comment.

The current mexican resto which is opposite where senoritas was is in my opinion is superior. Sorry forgot the name. Their burritos there are quite out standing.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. RichD

RichD DI Forum Adept Veteran Air Force

Work?!?!?
    Ratings:
    +287 / 687
    Blood Type:
    A+
    I have lived in Mexico, in several states, for 18 years. Nothing here is served with sour cream. You have to go to Texas to get that kind of food.

• Agree Agree x 2