Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: importing a laptop?

1. Kelly Acosta

Kelly Acosta DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0
    We did order some dog grooming stuff from Amazon; I think Amazon calculates the import fees already. You need to change your shipping address to Dumaguete City already. Here is an example quote:
    upload_2019-2-25_12-58-24.png

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    Adidas has an online Philippines store. Free shipping for purchases over P3k.
    https://www.adidas.com.ph/

• Informative Informative x 4
  3. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    For those people not buying from Amazon.

There are two types of tax during importation. Duty and VAT.

Duty is only charged on items that are also made here in the Philippines. For example there is no duty on computers.

VAT Value Added Tax 12% charged on everything over 10K PHP.

Customs has the following limits:

$10K PHP = $200 USD value of goods + shipping
    No VAT tax no duty
    de minimis too small or insignificant to be of importance.

50K PHP = 1,000 USD value of goods + shipping
    Informal entry limit. Importation license not required.
    Expect to pay VAT + Duty on value + shipping cost

Over 50K PHP Importation license required.
    You can ask in writing for a waiver of this at the time of importation.
    Expect to pay VAT + Duty on value + shipping cost

I doubt this applies to Amazon customers because Amazon will pay the VAT + duty taxes.

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. Rye83

Rye83 with pastrami Admin Secured Account Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Army

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    That's a pretty cheap laptop. Unless you are taking very good care of it I wouldn't expect it to be very useful for anything over 2-3 years, and that depends on what you are using it for.

Still just a mid-range laptop, especially for a touch-screen. However, Mid-range computers generally don't go down after just year. Sounds like you either got unlucky or you aren't taking care of your PC. Either way, I think it is unfair to say that this is the norm or some industry wide problem.

I have a HP Spectre x360 13" w/ touchscreen that I paid around $1,200 for about 3 years ago and an Alienware 17 R5 that I paid around $1,700 for about a year ago (time will tell with this one but reviews of the older models tell me it will hold up over time). Both have been excellent laptops and continue to work exactly as they did they day I bought them, and I'm in a pretty hot and dusty environment. A cooling pad and some canned air goes a really long way when it comes to computer maintenance. I know it isn't any better in the Philippines. (Don't clean your ceiling/floor fan for a month and have a look at all that crap that builds up on the blades, the same is happening to the inside of your computer.)

One thing to watch for in the Philippines is if you are using your laptop for anything that uses a bit of processing power (even something as simple as watching a video) you had better make sure you have a d*mn good cooling pad (and a couple floor fans pointing at it if you are gaming). The heat in the Philippines will destroy your computer in very short order.

Another thing to look out for in the Philippines is allowing Filipinos to use your computer. They are horrible PC users. I have yet to work on a Filipino owned computer that wasn't loaded with tons of viruses and all of my ex-gfs unwittingly downloaded viruses to my person computer on a regular basis.

• Like Like x 3
  5. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    thanks everyone,

i ordered a laptop from amazon using amazon shipping.
    Total Before Tax: $575.26
    Import Fees Deposit: $120.81
    Estimated Tax: $0.00
    Order Total: $696.07

same item here is about $900 usd

i didn't know what the import fees were until i completed the order and received an order confirmation email from amazon.

ordered 25 feb
    estimated delivery is 4 mar to 11 mar.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    clipped from:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201910710

You won't be charged additional fees if the actual Import Fees exceed the Import Fees Deposit we estimated. For items sold by Amazon Marketplace sellers, please check the seller's policies.

If the actual Import Fees are less than the Import Fees Deposit collected by us on your behalf, you'll automatically be refunded the difference to the payment method you used for the order

6. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    i ordered a netgear pocket wifi from lazada and had problems with it. i called netgear and they told me lazada is NOT an authorized netgear seller and i'm SOL

7. foobar

foobar DI Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 5
    Yep. I imported one, paid duty (lots). Had to return it for warranty repair. When it came back, more duty (lots). No point in complaining or refusing to pay, it would just result in non-delivery.

Next time I'll just get a Thinkpad from Lazada.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Jens K

Jens K DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +764 / 47
    Blood Type:
    AB+
    In case anybody wants to look up the actual tariff rate for something - the whole catalogue is online at http://www.tariffcommission.gov.ph/tariff-book.

Also important:

- duty is calculated based on the total value of the shipment including the actual shipping cost
    - there are various additional fees from the customs office and DHL/UPS for handling the process for you. Only once it happened to me that I got to deal with a customs officer myself, that was with a regular package that I had to pick up at the DGT post office.
    - VAT (12%) is added on top of everything so you pay VAT on the goods plus duties

All this knowledge however won't help you much if they simply calculate your duties wrong. With a recent shipment I got via DHL someone messed up and started with a value of over USD 400 instead of the 249 stated on the included invoice. So I ended up paying a lot more than it should have been.

In this case I even got a call beforehand from DHL informing me of the amount to be paid upon delivery so I could have objected - but having no idea what the correct amount would be I just accepted the amount they said. I only noticed the error when examining the customs documentation. Customs fees (not the actual duty) in this case were PHP 730, DHL fees little over PHP 1000. Next time I'll at least ask what shipment value the calculation is based on to make sure that is correct.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. kelpguy

kelpguy DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +673 / 92
    the amazon shipping/customs deposit was generous and i DID receive a refund back to my credit card. sorry i don't remember the $ amounts

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. Rye83

FIRE
    Ratings:
    +16,069 / 3,795
    Blood Type:
    O+
    No they don't. You will have to send it to Bacolod or Cebu and go pick it up. I have heard you may be able to work with them and have them send it through lbc after it arrives in their office but I have never went that route as I always wanted an excuse to get out of Dumaguete for a day or two.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1