Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: 3 dead as ex-US Marine in Talisay runs amok

1. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    It's very sad for everyone involved. As far as the laws go here the stepson was probably legally entitled to at least 75% of the cars and house.
    If the wife had a will, she could have given her foreigner husband the usufructuary right to those properties.
    There is probably a lot more to this story. It seems to have escalated pretty quickly.
    If you and your wife/girl friend don't have a will you might want to think about getting one written up. It can save a lot of hassles and misunderstandings. Having a usufructuary right can give you a lot of privileges you wouldn't normally get.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Edward K

Edward K DI Senior Member Veteran Navy

Ratings:
    +995 / 82
    Sorry, no disrespect, but anyone with an interest in land without a WILL 0r USUFRUCT in the Philippines is really really really really asking for trouble.. I would have used a less respectable adjective, but people's lives are at stake, and lives would have been saved.... DO IT, even if it's only holographic (you can look it up). I know Filipinos HATE confrontation and uncomfortable discussions about "when one of us is gone," but this can save lives....

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Show Pony

Show Pony DI Forum Patron Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +2,368 / 1,258
    As far as I know YES. A usufructuary right can be granted to anyone. Best to check with a lawyer.

• Informative Informative x 3