Dumaguete Info Search

Best Posts in Thread: Growing banana from seed

1. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Unfortunate trying to grow those banana seeds did not work out but no worries; have some citrus seeds that are my next experiment to try and germinate. I'll be home for a couple weeks (in time for Christmas) before my next work project so looking forward to working on things around the house.

Shawn

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Notmyrealname

Notmyrealname DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,600 / 2,889
    Is the problem getting the seed to germinate or to grow from seedling to mature plant?

For germination, I found this article quite good as it shows it from a more amateur viewpoint and has photos showing progress:
    https://steemit.com/homesteading/@jawker/how-to-grow-calamansi-philippine-lime-indoors

For growing from seedlings (also includes tips on germinating in paper towels): https://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/109304-calamansi-growing-tips/

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Outcast

Outcast DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +335 / 128
    it will depend on the variety of banana. plantains have fertile seeds but the commercially grown dessert bananas have been mutated and do not have fertile seeds. propogation is done asexually, vegetatively using the starts or pups from the parent plant..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ShawnM

ShawnM DI Forum Patron ★ No Ads ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer Blood Donor Veteran Air Force

Senior Construction Manager
    Ratings:
    +1,752 / 218
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I picked up some drawf musa blue java seeds; just thought they would be an interesting variety to try and grow.

I ordered 30 seeds, soaked 6 seeds for 12 hours as recommended, put 3 seeds each in two large pots of vermicompost. 10 days or so and nothing has popped up. I've read it can take 2 weeks or more but rainy season has kicked in with nice temps so hoping they will germinate. I'm starting to wonder if I need to be a bit more patient or try some of the other banana seeds I have? Never grew banana from seed so a bit clueless other than what you can get from google or youtube.

A bright side...our rain water collection tank is full, the pump I brought from Korea works like a champ and I worked our little garden area a bit today.

Our little garden area got 150 kilo of vermicompost, weeding and was only able to plant some cherry tomato and basil seeds today. Tomorrow will be Korean cucumbers (we have had great luck with them in the past), a bunch of hot peppers (seeds from the US), Korean melons (they seem do well and are nice) and garlic.

We have another 6 bags of vermicompost slated for the front of the house so that area is at least okra and perilla...the wife's choice.

Shawn

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019