Best Posts in Thread: Downtown Checkpoints and No Helmet Fine Info

1. greko

greko DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 1
    Blood Type:
    A-
    Hi Expats,

Got caught at a checkpoint with no helmet. (Yes, I know it is foolish not to wear a helmet.) They are starting to give tickets for no helmet in Dumaguete City. The fine is 1,500 1st offence. 3,000 2nd. 5,000 third. They take your drivers license. You have to go to the main LTO office and it takes about 3+ hours to pay the fine and get your license back. The office opens at 8 and there is a line of about 30 people at 7:30 am.

An Australian guy was given a fine 0f 5,000 because he was driving on his Australian drivers license and had been in the country for more than 3 months. So they gave him 3,000 for driving unlicensed, 1,500 no helmet and 460 I think for impound fee even though his bike had not been impounded. He was arguing but there is no sense getting angry. The law is the law and the LTO guy is just doing his job.

Moral of the story: Wear your helmet and keep your papers in order or take a tricycle. If you have been in the country less than three months, have a copy of your passport stamp. If you have been here longer than 3 months, go to the main LTO office and get your Philippine drivers license. It cost me about 850. Your foreign license should a have motorcycle permission. The default is just car permission. If you convert your existing license, make sure your Philippine license has a 1,2 under Restrictions in the bottom left corner. 1 is for motorcycle, and 2 is for car.

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jack Peterson

Jack Peterson DI Forum Luminary Highly Rated Poster SC Connoisseur Veteran Air Force

Happily Retired
    Ratings:
    +5,207 / 1,082
    I think it is the other way Round, 30 day free entry then 29 days payable 29 day waiver :cookie:

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. DavyL200

DavyL200 DI Forum Luminary ★ Global Mod ★ ★ Moderator ★ Highly Rated Poster Showcase Reviewer

Ratings:
    +5,126 / 466
    Im sure you mean extendable for a max of 36 months?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. greko

greko DI Junior Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 1
    Blood Type:
    A-
    I have the SRRV long term visa. I guess you have to have the SRRV or marriage visa to get a drivers license.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Solid_Pan

Solid_Pan DI Member

retired
    Ratings:
    +92 / 2
    I am not 100% sure about that. :unsure: As you can see in the link to LTO FAQ below, it says "90 days from date of arrival", not date of Visa-renewal.
    http://www.lto.gov.ph/frequently-asked-questions/license-permit.html

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Correct. Regarding the 90 days, we came here on the 1 year balikbayan privilege. Technically, that posed a problem for driving after the 90 days were up because the US license was no longer acceptable yet the Philippine conversion license was not possible because the remaining visa was less than 1 year. However, LTO issued the license anyway and I was not aware of the 1 year requirement at the time, just the 90 day limit. The less you know the better, sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  7. Outcast

Outcast DI Forum Adept

Ratings:
    +335 / 128
    if your foriegn license is in English, an international licesne serves no purpose. a person may drive on their foriegn license for 90 days from the date of there last entry.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SkipJack

SkipJack DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +1,160 / 79
    Blood Type:
    I don't know.
    Did you get your Philippine DL recently?

When I went to the LTO they would not issue me a drivers license because I did not have a long term visa that showed I could stay in the country for longer than a year. Tourist visa extension is only valid for 6 months.

The wording of the LTO regulations is as follows:

In addition, for foreigners, the applicant must have been in the Philippines for at least one (1) month with proof that he/she will stay in the country for at least one (1) year from date of application.

http://www.lto.gov.ph/license-permit-issuance/284-non-professional-driver-s-license.html

I believe this went into effect recently and has only been enforced at the Dumaguete LTO within the last few months.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. djfinn6230

djfinn6230 DI Senior Member

Ratings:
    +953 / 117
    Blood Type:
    B+
    Dumaguete has a different approach to foreigners than Siquijor at checkpoints. In Dumaguete they will be happy to ticket foreigners for violations. In Siquijor, when they see a foreigner they just wave them through without stopping them (in my experience. This is not a published policy). I think it makes a difference in a tourist economy. But there, most foreign tourists are really tourists lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1